• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Engine Bay OCD!

1 hour ago, Flunder said:

IMG_2975.thumb.jpeg.5ebe63dc2606e278f536937664b1b084.jpegIMG_2974.thumb.jpeg.2041275a28ff2b768305bf153fc78fcd.jpeg1600 Caribe

Before center clamps and hood insulation.

I generally view 1600-2’s without the center hood holddown as 1966 models. When was yours manufactured? My 1967 1600-2 — definitely later than yours — had the holddown but didn’t have hood insulation. I characterized the lack of hood insulation as a function of 1600-2 vs. 2002, but maybe it was solely a function of manufacturing date, and not sub-model. I don’t know. Did 1968 and later 1600-2’s receive hood insulation?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, artbo said:

If you look closely, you can see the spark box kit with a blue coil aaaand a resistor

But, it ain't just any blue coil.  It's a special one designed for that Transistorized Ignition system.  Just happens to be painted blue in color, but different than the common Bosch Blue coil with the built in resistor.  Hence, the added external ballast...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

23 hours ago, Conserv said:

I generally view 1600-2’s without the center hood holddown as 1966 models. When was yours manufactured? My 1967 1600-2 — definitely later than yours — had the holddown but didn’t have hood insulation. I characterized the lack of hood insulation as a function of 1600-2 vs. 2002, but maybe it was solely a function of manufacturing date, and not sub-model. I don’t know. Did 1968 and later 1600-2’s receive hood insulation?

Best regards,

Steve

Steve that Caribe 1600 has a Dec 1966 build date.

I believe that in later years the 1600-2s did receive hood insulation pads

Note the small square patch on the underside of the hood. It is another early car feature. It’s there to prevent metal to metal contact with the air cleaner lid.

Edited by Flunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, artbo said:

TiSA engine compartment, blue coil, no resistor

IMG_3352.jpeg

@artbo can you provide more details / photos of that valve cover? Is the oil filler just extended upward a few inches and the original vent welded shut or is there aomething more happening on the underside?

• Like 1

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD

11 hours ago, JohnS said:

But, it ain't just any blue coil.  It's a special one designed for that Transistorized Ignition system.  Just happens to be painted blue in color, but different than the common Bosch Blue coil with the built in resistor.  Hence, the added external ballast...

Yep!

9 hours ago, mmaaaaaxx said:

@artbo can you provide more details / photos of that valve cover? Is the oil filler just extended upward a few inches and the original vent welded shut or is there aomething more happening on the underside?

I will PM a description.

• Like 1