• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Engine Bay OCD!

21 hours ago, Flunder said:

… Note the small square patch on the underside of the hood. It is another early car feature. It’s there to prevent metal to metal contact with the air cleaner lid.

Thank you. And I’ve never before noticed or known about that contact patch!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

First off, yes I’m in awe of these prettier then pretty engine bays. 

My wonder / question is were all these done with the engine out, or just with tiny hands or elaborate reaching tools? 

I’ve been knocking back / cleaning up bits and areas as I’m replacing the hard brake lines in the engine compartment, but nothing compared to these bays. 

Also wondering what types of cleaning chemicals and tools people are using? 

• Like 3

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

20 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

My wonder / question is were all these done with the engine out, or just with tiny hands or elaborate reaching tools? 

I’ve been knocking back / cleaning up bits and areas as I’m replacing the hard brake lines in the engine compartment, but nothing compared to these bays. 

I've got a Motorcycle restoration shop nearby that offers Vapor Honing.  I had a number of things done by them when rebuilding my engine.  Really turned out great!

• Like 2

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

20 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

BTW - Hope you can come to the All German Vintage car show that I'm involved with.

WWW.DEUTSCHE-KLASSIC.COM

Oktober 30th, 2021. Calling All GERMAN KLASSIC CARS 25 YEARS and OLDER! Join us for a showing of German Klassic Cars and an OKTOBERFEST celebration in the HISTORIC TOWN OF NORCROSS, GEORGIA

• Like 1

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I’m still undecided on the oil catch can. And need to finish the windshield washer. 

I know it doesn’t need to be said, but of course I applied ceramic coating inside the engine bay. 

Nearly 3000 miles since the rebuild. 

IMG_5151.jpeg

Edited by slowbert
  • Like 9

I feel a bit like I’m standing outside with both hands on the glass storefront, staring inside.  Love the improvements over factory stock bays.

Getting closer!  Sorting through booster clearances issues and coolant hose routing problems, even after all of the initial measuring.

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I feel a bit like I’m standing outside with both hands on the glass storefront, staring inside.  Love the improvements over factory stock bays.

Getting closer!  Sorting through booster clearances issues and coolant hose routing problems, even after all of the initial measuring.

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

M20 4cyl? Invisible Carburetor?

• Haha 1