• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uh Oh....Thought I Could Buy a New Antenna

Newbie mistake?  I come from the classic, domestic car world where every part is being re-popped.  I just sent my 02 off to have the roof repainted and the A pillars have holes drilled in them for the "original" antenna.  From 2002faq, I knew 02's didn't actually come with an "original" antenna because the dealers added the radio, but I did assume they would all look/mount the same.  Hmmmm, maybe bad assumption.

I need to find a replacement antenna that hopefully mounts similarly to my old antenna.  Any ideas?  Attached are pics of my "original" antenna.  Mine is a 1975.

Thanks, Cris

Antenna Detail.jpg

Antenna Overall.jpg

My 1974 came with an aftermarket antenna. I have no idea if it uses the same mounting points. I like the silver metal look of your original version better. Regardless, it’s nice to have a working radio.

DAV_8475.jpeg

My factory antenna snapped off long time ago up high by the corner of the windshield, above the black plastic factory loop.  Go get a magnetic extendable pick tool up at any auto parts shop and pull it apart on the seam closet in diameter to where yours broke!  A little CA and accelerator and Pau!

An option: leave original in place if you can clean it up to your liking and replace with a hidden antenna that mounts inside the car. I know it sounds like these wouldnt work but I have one on my '67 VW because I wanted a more stream lined look for outside. By that I meant I omitted outside antenna and used a grommet to fill in the previous mount.

• Like 2

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

Most of the “first” antennas on ‘02’s — I’m saying “first” rather than “factory original” — were by Hirschmann and Bosch. My ‘76, new from the dealer in ‘76, got a… Harada? 🤔😯 For the Big Re-Paint (2016-18), however, I found an NOS Bosch and replaced the Harada. In my car’s case, we needed to weld the Harada’s lower attachment point closed, and re-drill, because it was too low on the pillar for the Bosch.

The “red tip” antennas, super hot in the 1972-73 era, seemed to have been superseded by “blue tips” by 1975-76. I believe this reflects a shift from Hirschmann to Bosch as the dominant brand. Anyway, my Harada was not the norm when my ‘76 was new: Bosch blue-tips were!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hirschman style is the most common. Were available new up until recently. You will find that parts disappear for a year or two then pop back up new when someone does a manufacturing run. 

I would reinstall your current antenna for now until you can find a replacement. Or maybe remove the antenna all together. Plenty of hidden antennas available if you want to still run a radio.

image.png.ef838a236a7b8a821ef5bdf235dcab86.png

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

As we all know, 2002s didn't come from the factory--at least to the US--with an installed radio,so almost any make/brand of radio that was current when the car was new is "correct" if you're going for authenticity.  I equipped my '69 when new with a JC Whitney special AM-FM pushbutton radio (the height of cool then, $59.95 vs $140+ for a Blaupunkt) but had to buy the "correct" antenna from a BMW dealer--it was (and still is) a Bosch/Blaupunkt antenna with a blue tip (Blaupunkt = blue point). 

Lots of folks, though opted for the much cheaper and more readily available side mounted antenna used on VW Beetles, which is what it appears your car has.  Again...since it was available when the car was new, it's certainly considered to be "correct" for the authenticity buffs.  

I thought the Bosch/Blaupunkt style antenna was still available from Hirshmann USA--you might check their web site, or W&N in Germany.  If you do find one of those, somewhere I have a template that came with my antenna that shows where to make the holes for installation.  

BTW, back in 1969, the factory suggested installing a rearward-raked antenna in the center of the deck lid (a-la '57 Chevy!) on cars that were sunroof equipped, as it was (and still is!) easy to drill into the forward sunroof drain (that runs down the A pillar) when installing the antenna.  Thus forewarned, I was very careful with my drilling and avoided the hose.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Gotta love 2002faq, thanks for the responses.  I've looked at the VW antennas, but they use a connector off the mounting block and I'm not sure if that will fit in the A pillar.  Since my car is at the painter, I can't really take a look.  The VW version mounting holes relative to the cable exit are different as well.  Though I might be able to mod one to work.

I now have emails in to W&N (good suggestion) and dlacey, your link looks like a possibility.  I found a similar one on ebay:

WWW.EBAY.COM

Item: Stainless Steel 3 Section 48" Pillar Side Mount Universal Antenna for Car Audio Stereo Radios. • Universal Pillar Side Mount Car Antenna. It features a 3 section 18" to 48" adjustable whip and includes an upper support clip.

Its a bit bigger than mine, but may work.

Appreciate the help, Cris

The antenna in your picture doesn't match the standard Hirschmann or Bosch antennas that were originally installed on the 2002. If you switch to a more typical antenna, you may need to adjust the mounting holes on the A-pillar. It’s a good idea to take care of this while your car is undergoing bodywork.

Antennas frequently appear on eBay and in our classifieds section. User Enoz05 sells them, and I’ve purchased items from him before, including a NOS Hirschmann antenna.

Edited by Shawn Piper

5 hours ago, Mike Self said:

BTW, back in 1969, the factory suggested installing a rearward-raked antenna in the center of the deck lid (a-la '57 Chevy!) on cars that were sunroof equipped, as it was (and still is!) easy to drill into the forward sunroof drain (that runs down the A pillar) when installing the antenna.  Thus forewarned, I was very careful with my drilling and avoided the hose.

You mean like this?

PXL_20240828_195455123_2048.thumb.jpg.8dfabeaf68b8ca0f73849f7c1f4d0ba0.jpg

I decided to do mine like this on a whim when I had the car painted ~28 years ago. It's a powered antenna that was (I think) originally intended for a Mk2 GTI. I had no idea the factory ever suggested such a thing.

• Like 1

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

If you can find one, the Harada PM-13 works really well.  They turn up on e-bay from time to time.  

See old threads:

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️