• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uh Oh....Thought I Could Buy a New Antenna

Your car is at the body shop, just have them weld up the holes and then you can use any antenna you choose. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

As Mike suggested, both types of antennas  were offered by the dealers as an accessory, as shown in my accessories catalog from the early 70s. You can see on the “screen pillar radio aerial”, BMW recommended “not to be used on vehicles fitted with sliding roof.“. Tom

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bluehills2002, interesting information.  I assume they are not recommending the A-pillar antenna for sunroof cars because the sunroof drain tubes run down the A-pillar?  My car has a sunroof, is there anyone out there that is using an A-pillar antenna with a sunroof or is this verboten???

I've seen hundreds of sun roof 02's over 50 or so years and they all had pillar mounted antennas or no antenna at all. So I guess some one didn't get the memo😵. TPS= tanna positioning schematic.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

On 9/3/2024 at 9:05 PM, Son of Marty said:

I've seen hundreds of sun roof 02's over 50 or so years and they all had pillar mounted antennas or no antenna at all. So I guess some one didn't get the memo😵.

+1

The left A pillar is easily the most common location on U.S. ‘02’s, regardless of sunroof. I now wonder how many of those drain tubes were punctured in the process. Probably not a majority, but probably a few! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

After going through this debacle on my resto I simply decided to delete the exterior antenna idea. Weld up the wrong antenna pre drilled holes and refinish. It helps unclutter the design of the car along with shaved marker lights etc.

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
  • Like 1

When I was driving several 500 buck 02's as commuters most of them had antennas  that were never cleaned and greased  and corroded to the point of being useless I went to Napa and they have/had a short rubber antenna that I just stuck in the glove box which worked surprisingly well.

George S Patton 

Well, I found my antenna....actually two versions that will work.  It turns out that the old antenna on my 02 was a ubiquitous pillar mount antenna that came on a lot of cars including Toyotas.  (There was actually a reference to this antenna after doing a deep dive into the 2002FAQ archives.)  It is made by Metra and the PN is 44-UP21.  The second one I found was a seller on ebay (see below).  The unfortunate part is the new antennas are pretty cheaply made compared to the original.  They are chrome plated plastic instead of the die cast version I have.

WWW.EBAY.COM

Item: Stainless Steel 3 Section 48" Pillar Side Mount Universal Antenna for Car Audio Stereo Radios. • Universal Pillar Side Mount Car Antenna. It features a 3 section 18" to 48" adjustable whip and includes an upper support clip.

Here's a pic of all three I have now, the original (right), the Metra (middle), and the ebay one (left).

Antennas.jpg

On 9/7/2024 at 1:47 AM, 66Vette said:

Well, I found my antenna....actually two versions that will work.  It turns out that the old antenna on my 02 was a ubiquitous pillar mount antenna that came on a lot of cars including Toyotas.  (There was actually a reference to this antenna after doing a deep dive into the 2002FAQ archives.)  It is made by Metra and the PN is 44-UP21.  The second one I found was a seller on ebay (see below).  The unfortunate part is the new antennas are pretty cheaply made compared to the original.  They are chrome plated plastic instead of the die cast version I have.

WWW.EBAY.COM

Item: Stainless Steel 3 Section 48" Pillar Side Mount Universal Antenna for Car Audio Stereo Radios. • Universal Pillar Side Mount Car Antenna. It features a 3 section 18" to 48" adjustable whip and includes an upper support clip.

Here's a pic of all three I have now, the original (right), the Metra (middle), and the ebay one (left).

Antennas.jpg

None of the three were ever installed by the dealer

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, enoz05 said:

None of the three were ever installed by the dealer

I agree.

My ‘67 had an antenna similar to this mounted through the right front fender, between the right front wheel well and the right door, below the hood’s beltline trim. It stood well proud of the fender, so as not to hit the hood’s beltline trim, and required no upper support. It, no doubt, arrived with the car’s 6-volt Motorola AM radio — probably installed when the car was new, but certainly not by a BMW dealer.

The Hirschmanns, Blaupunkts, and Bosch’s are not that hard to find.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)