• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding a key on electrical connection in engine compartment

Go to solution Solved by John76,

Hello all,

Working on my 74 02 project car. I'm wiring up my HID headlights and daytime running lights. My battery is dead right now, so I can't test for what is hot with key on in my engine compartment. Can someone point out a good, key on hot source in the engine compartment?

Barry

1974 2002 - Fuel Injected, Bored, Balanced
Wide-Body Resto-Mod w/Lots of Goodies!

My sites - 2002BMW.com & HIDupgrades.com

BMW CCA - River City Bimmers

Thanks guy, but that's probably not going to work for me, because I don't have a coil anymore. I've done an EFI conversion and I'm running a coil pack now, and don't want to power anything from it's hot wire.

Aren't both the alternator and starter connections always hot? I just need a 12v connection in the engine compartment that's only hot when key is on.

Barry

Tap a wire off the fuse box to a relay. Things like the fuel pump (Fuse 12) and the cigarette lighter (Fuse 1) are switched power fuses.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Here’s the existing late 02 headlight wiring with added fogs you can reference (courtesy @John76)

You want to mimic the fogs set-up if separate switch, unless you’re trying to wire the HIDs to the existing switch… How many amps does your alt put out? HIDs are very hungry…

image.jpeg.f861fcbc80528fd648e07568add7fa97.jpeg

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Ha!  I've done a GM alternator upgrade. My alternator puts out 225 amps, so no problem in my 02 with amps needed to run anything. The way my HIDs work is, one three prong plug connection from the HID controller goes to one headlight plug that normally plugs onto the back of (one) headlight, and the HID controller gets it's power from the regular headlight power lead.

I will be wiring a set of LED fog lights using a factory switch, and mounting them in my wide body spoiler soon. Between a wiring diagram I already have and yours, that should help a lot. Thanks!

Barry

• Solution
3 hours ago, 2002isGuy said:

I just need a 12v connection in the engine compartment that's only hot when key is on.

Here's another sketch that might help.

Fuses 3,4 and 12 are switched hot (ignition ON).  So is the #2 pin on the diagnostic plug. Look for Green wires for switched +12V.

Fuses 1 & 2 are always hot (Red wires directly from the battery +).

John

Fuse12.thumb.jpg.bec147a53cbc7e50c97476fd71f86b02.jpg

• Like 2

Like the majority of the world, I did not bother to read what's been written as it would take too much of my vast and nearly unlimited time.  

Hope this helps, if not, I tried. 

Image stolen from the internet.  

image.thumb.jpeg.725d2a483f0df4f41244d88dd45e7610.jpeg

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

On 8/28/2024 at 3:02 PM, 2002isGuy said:

Mine is getting there...

Your goal is to have it ready for next April's Mid America 02Fest in Eureka Springs, only an hour or two from Little Rock...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite