• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY Kugelfischer Test Stand

19 hours ago, stephers said:

would you want to see the actual spray pattern

I can lift them out to do that, but it's quite messy. I am running kerosene rather than gasoline to minimise the risk of explosion 😊. I have 3 old KF pumps I wanna see how much their calibration has drifted and how easily they can be got back to spec.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

For pump nerds, in the pump design/operation video at 3:41 minute is a cut-away that has an interesting feature.  These are the 3 horizontal drillings in the pump head that run from plunger bore to bore and beyond.

From what i can tell from the photo (and not ever had a pump head in hand),  the upper one would be for fuel leakage down the bore to send back to the fuel galley to not let fuel contaminate the oil.

The lower two are oiling galleys, the upper one to supply oil to lubricate the plunger and the lower one to drain the oil back to the pump case.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the full overhaul instructions from Schaefer/Kugelfischer:

that includes the detailed cal procedure and target settings for the 'A2' pump... still looking for target delivery settings for A1, B1 and C1 pumps.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise