• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck Sun Roof Drain Tube, Ideas on Removal

Go to solution Solved by goofycarp,

Hi,

Looking for some advise on how to remove a stuck sun roof drain tube in the driver's side windshield pillar.  The tube was cut at the drain nipple that comes from the roof and the dome light wires were pulled when the vehicle was stripped for a complete paint job...so I'd like to get the tube out because someone cut it and now it's too short to attach to the drain nipple and for better access to pull the dome light wires back up through the pillar. The tube is now 55+ years old and is hard and unpliable. Have tried pulling from the top and the bottom with no success.  There's no antenna on the pillar.  I don't want to pull too hard for fear of breaking it somewhere, leading to greater headaches. Have shot some silicon lube down the pillar but still no movement at all. The other 3 drain tubes are all loose and will be easily replaced and rears will exit the wheel wells with some fittings to avoid draining into the rockers...Thanks for any ideas. !!

Cort

I'm a chemist by training...I am always looking for a chemical solution...

You need to "plasticise" the plastic again.. you could block the lower end and then fill the tube with kerosene....leave it 24 hrs...then drain into a tray for disposal.. plastic will likely be softened by this and will be flexible again... Beware it will also be less strong and may break under tension.

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

• Solution

Thanks for the ideas !! A long probing screw driver managed to loosen things up and finally pulled with renewed vigor; out it came with missing chunks in the middle of the tube, all very brittle...  Relief  !!  ...New tubing should last until the next owner...

Cheers,

Cort

• Like 2

Hi,

I am going to use some pure silicon tubing; allegedly impervious to everything and remains pliable "forever" front and rear are different diameters; fronts are 3/8"ID x 1/2"OD, rears 1/2"ID x 5/8"OD... I was just at some big box hardware stores and all the clear tubing is coming from China. I am sure it's fine but I just can't bring myself to put any in my project...The old stuff had no flexibility at all. I paid $36 for 10' of front & 10' of rear tubing. I found the tubing on ebay...

WWW.EBAY.COM

Maximum transparency, pure silicone tubing does not age or crack, remains flexible and kink-free with age, and is free of all toxic chemicals. Once you use silicone tubing, you won't go back. Silicone is UV resistant; it does not age and deteriorate outdoors.

All the Best,

Cort

Hey, I would imagine that your drain tubes are about as brittle as mine were. The one I was having trouble with was cracked in the middle like plexi-glass and probably had been leaking into the windshield pillar for years. It would be worth while to replace them as it's not too expensive and you'll probably not have it opened up again, if ever...Are you going to post anything on replacing your headliner as I will have to do that sometime in the near future as well ? I have seen some other threads about it but it's always nice to get different takes on the process...

All the Best,

Cort

Cort:

I'm too chicken to do the install of the headliner.  I have an interior guy who is familiar with 02's.  I will have a discussion with him about creating access holes for the sunroof to make it easy to service (in particular the forks at the back of the sunroof tracks).  I've read too many posts about sunroof problems.  I'll most likely post what I end up doing.

Must be nice to know such a person to do the headliner !! It took me over a year to get my front and rear seats reupholstered, after I was on a "wait list". By the time I get to the headliner those guys will be retired.

Good luck with the project !!

Cort