• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

''74 Tii Reinstalling OEM Housing Air Filter

Jangun
Go to solution Solved by Jangun,

The PO removed the original air housing unit and put in one of the K&N air filter.  I have the original housing unit.  The Battery was moved to the trunk.  How easy is it to install it back?  I search the forum but the articles I found discussed how to intall new K&N filter.  

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Air filter housing.jpg

Their real easy to install, look at the mounting bracket on the air cleaner and you'll see 2 of the holes are open to the bottom just hang the a/c on those bolts using washers of course the install the 2 other bolts and tighten all 4 bolts down and connect the rubber bellows to the intake, easy peezy quick and easy.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

You just need the rubber bellows between this assembly and the throttle body and the crankcase breather hose between the cam cover and the lower nipple on the assembly.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

• Solution

Really appreciate you guys! 🙏 Thank you for the prompt reply.  I thought it would be easy but I know these wonderful cars can be finicky if things are not put back properly.

There is also supposed to be a vacuum limiting valve at the top middle of the air cleaner. Screenshot_20240907-084827.thumb.png.3ab221c87a0a04853dc2c1c7c1f4659e.png

I have read on here that it's function may not be desirable. But if your going do original look.

Project: 1974 BMW 2002 tii Malaga

Daily: 2006 BMW 330Ci

On 9/7/2024 at 11:52 AM, gambitpaul said:

There is also supposed to be a vacuum limiting valve at the top middle of the air cleaner. Screenshot_20240907-084827.thumb.png.3ab221c87a0a04853dc2c1c7c1f4659e.png

I have read on here that it's function may not be desirable. But if your going do original look.

It works with the vacuum retard distributor, mandated by increasing emissions standards. Many ‘74 U.S tii’s have, by now, lost the vacuum limiter valve and their vacuum retard distributor.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Also there is the ability to adjust the fitting a bit as well if it hits the firewall when fitted, you can move it backwards and forwards a bit, thank you to Paul W a few years back for that gem, I literally nearly kicked the can down the street when fitting for the first time after new rubbers!