• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some 1800TI/SA love from Bob Lutz in this Road&Track article

Bob Lutz reminisces about driving an 1800TI/SA when he worked for Opel in the mid sixties.

WWW.ROADANDTRACK.COM

px-captcha

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Lutz: 

1966 BMW 1800 TISA: This was the precursor to the 5-series. TI meant fuel injection, and SA stood for Sonderausführung, or special edition. Opel had one in the competitive fleet for benchmarking purposes, and I grabbed it as often as I could. It was extremely fast for its day, light, and well balanced thanks to the small four-cylinder engine. The chassis was firm, with superb feedback, and the drivetrain was highly audible but inspiring. On winding roads, it seemed to beg the driver to push harder and harder. For a fairly large four-door sedan, it was incredible.

1972 BMW 2002 tii: Other than the rare limited-edition 2002 Turbo, this was the top of the 2002 line. Again: light, fast, supremely responsive. Quite possibly one of the all-around-best BMWs ever offered. It demanded attention, as terminal oversteer could occur faster than the driver expected (ask me how l know this!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)