• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Market fallen this hard for our beloved cars?

What lower prices do is enable passable cars, or even solid drivers to be chopped up, and modified in less than appealing ways. 

Stanced. Slammed. Riding on 20” wheels. Shoehorning a boat anchor with 500hp into the engine bay. Some, well, for the sake of Insta clicks. 

While some, yes, will pick up an older car that’s affordable and breathe some life into it since it didn’t start out as a six figure car. Someone said they made a lot of these, and I’d agree. Though mine aren’t going anywhere. 

Yeah, the market on 2002's seems to definitely be down right now. Even good projects of all kinds general are down. I've been trying to sell US spec BMW R90S vin #2 all year and been having a heck of a time since it really needs paint. Hopefully next year things will warm up again????

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

7 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

The right-hand-drive Malaga roundie tii on BAT closed for just over $16k!
What the hell?

Election cycle, Hurricanes, Inflation, Wars, Under Employment, Ray,  compounded by a general population of distraction and dopamine hit pursuit may play a small part. 

See tag line below. 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

But what do I know

On 10/9/2024 at 6:16 AM, d.hitchcock said:

The right-hand-drive Malaga roundie tii on BAT closed for just over $16k!
What the hell?

Great ! Keep dropping. Even $16K is too much, especially for the over rated Tii with its crowded engine compartment. I just worked on one the other day, what a nightmare. 

Keep going down until the 1600 drops to $1,600, the 2002 to $2,002 and the "tii" to $1,000. Yes ! $1,000 because it's an expensive nightmare to get sorted once things start going "South". 

All classic and internal combustion cars will become worthless, as dictated by the metro-sexual cyber digital "Green" yuppies . We better start putting batteries in these things.

Edited by Zak

8 hours ago, Zak said:

the "tii" to $1,000. Yes ! $1,000 because it's an expensive nightmare to get sorted once things start going "South". 

Why? The Kuglefischer is rock solid very tough and can still be rebuilt, once you’ve got the hang of setup it’s really not that bad, twin carbs can be expensive to setup if you’re not handy as well, now if you had said the turbo I’d agree because it has quite a few bespoke parts that are quite fragile and very expensive.

Edited by SydneyTii

9 hours ago, Zak said:

Great ! Keep dropping. Even $16K is too much, especially for the over rated Tii with its crowded engine compartment. I just worked on one the other day, what a nightmare. 

Keep going down until the 1600 drops to $1,600, the 2002 to $2,002 and the "tii" to $1,000. Yes ! $1,000 because it's an expensive nightmare to get sorted once things start going "South". 

All classic and internal combustion cars will become worthless, as dictated by the metro-sexual cyber digital "Green" yuppies . We better start putting batteries in these things.

Dude, are you OK?

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2024 at 4:47 PM, conkitchen said:

Election cycle, Hurricanes, Inflation, Wars, Under Employment, Ray,  compounded by a general population of distraction and dopamine hit pursuit may play a small part. 

See tag line below. 

A small part....Ya think?😀

Also, what does Ray have to do with it?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zak said:

as dictated by the metro-sexual cyber digital "Green" yuppies . 

Man I just coughed up a lung laughing trying to imagine what this person would look like!

They can have the hybrids, electrics, hydrogen and the convoluted styling that goes with them. 60+ years living with the infernal combustion-powered visually appealing autos and not giving a tinker's damn about the cost of go-juice will remain my focus.

And if the cost of the 02 goes a bit lower I'll get another one, just to piss the Greenies off!

Edited by OldRoller
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

14 hours ago, Zak said:

We better start putting batteries in these things.

No way. But when I'm gone my 1600 will probably end up in the salvage yard next to the Alpha. My wife and daughters don't want to ride in my old smelly car. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, OldRoller said:

......hydrogen.......

Whilst I am not a big fan of the alternatives either, Hydrogen (H 1.008) is still an internal combustion engine with related established mechanical functions that our economy is built on.  

There are H vehicles here in CA and I have a Shell station nearby which provides a Hydrogen fuel pump.  It works well, plus the exhaust is pure water vapor.  Ca is perpetually in a drought, why not pimp H at least in areas with low atmospheric moisture levels.  Instead of mandating no new gasoline cars and only EV's. Which use the dirty grid to charge those strip mined caustic Lithium (Li 6.94) batteries that are going to pile up somewhere once consumed. 

Slavs AKA Zak virtuous rant over!  (sorry bud but it comes off that way to some) 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 2

But what do I know

Electrics can have a space albeit very small. The idea it would replace ICEs was a fools errand. I'm all for being mindful of the environment but the electrics dont even do that.

• Like 3

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

2 hours ago, OldRoller said:

They can have the hibrids, electrics, hydrogen and the convoluted styling that goes with them. 60+ years living with the infernal combustion-powered visually appealing autos and not giving a tnker's damn about the cost of go-juice will remain my focus.

And if the cost of the 02 goes a bit lower I'll get another one, just to piss the Greenies off!

BTW I was just on Flea Bay the other day and the price of '02s was still quite high.

• Haha 2

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002