• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Market fallen this hard for our beloved cars?

On 10/9/2024 at 1:47 PM, conkitchen said:

Election cycle, Hurricanes, Inflation, Wars, Under Employment, Ray,  compounded by a general population of distraction and dopamine hit pursuit may play a small part. 

See tag line below. 

Seconded that it's Ray's fault. 

• Haha 9

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On 10/11/2024 at 6:26 AM, Tdh said:

Man I just coughed up a lung laughing trying to imagine what this person would look like!

I'm surrounded by them here in Los Angeles. But, there are much more of them down in San Diego and up in "Frisco" (San Francisco). In San Diego they take on the rustic-earthy persona while in San Francisco they are quite the provincial snobs. San Francisco was the first city in the nation to mandate flow-flow water saving toilets. The low flow toilets don't have enough water to carry excrement very far in older plumbing and sewers, especially metro-sexual Yuppie excrement from ingested organic vegan meals consumed at overpriced restaurants. So, they  clogged up the city sewers. They then had to pump in toxic chemicals to dissolve it. 

Metrosexuals don't wrench on cars because they are afraid of breaking their nails or getting them dirty, among other things. In Los Angeles some have discovered the Porsche 912 and are buying them as an accessory acquisition. Their other accessories may include Feragamo shoes and a Vacheron Konstantin wrist watch. 

One of popular morning car shows in LA is organized by them. I no longer go out to the shows, as I'm trying my best to avoid them. 

WWW.INFOGRADES.COM

When it comes to shopping, both metrosexual shoppers and heterosexual buyers have different brand preferences. Here's a comparison on the spending habits of...

Edited by Zak

17 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Why? The Kuglefischer is rock solid very tough and can still be rebuilt, once you’ve got the hang of setup it’s really not that bad,

It's expensive, and it takes up too much space as far as I'm concerned, just not worth the time and effort in my opinion. 

On 10/11/2024 at 6:22 AM, Tdh said:

Mine will get sold by one of my kids after I'm gone...

That's what happened to my neighbor's 1961 356 Carrera Porsche. His kids sold it for next to nothing ( $180K) after he passed away. The car is worth over $ one million. I believe it was purchased by a metro-sexual.

Edited by Zak

1 hour ago, Zak said:

It's expensive, and it takes up too much space as far as I'm concerned, just not worth the time and effort in my opinion. 

Not following this at all, the Kuglefischer pump is not a large item, and they are not that expensive, I think mine was $1200 USD rebuilt from Jaymic, how much is a set of twin webbers, once the pump is setup they stay in tune for a long time, which part is too big? The plenum and air box does fill the engine bay I’ll agree there, but most performance setups do, it’s not a bad trade off for the power increase over a carb model. The biggest bugbear for me would be the alternator but I have a removable battery tray and a stepped adjuster so that’s not so bad.

Edited by SydneyTii

9 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Not following this at all, the Kuglefischer pump is not a large item, and they are not that expensive, I think mine was $1200 USD rebuilt from Jaymic, how much is a set of twin webers, once the pump is setup they stay in tune for a long time, which part is too big?

It's all relative. For me $1,200 is expensive. On the Tii the battery sits high like on the standard 02. They couldn't lower it like on the twin carb Ti model because they had to mount the alternator below since the Kuglefischer mechanical fuel injection pump is located where the Alternator normally sits. There is so little room for the battery, just removing it is a pain. Yes, the twin Weber carbs are also expensive, not to mention all the extra jets you have to purchase to set them. I'm not a fan of the "Ti" either. It'snot a practical car. And, it gets lousy mileage. I'm looking at these cars  from a utilitarian perspective. And, the "Tii" and "Ti" just don't meet that definition.  

13 hours ago, Zak said:

That's what happened to my neighbor's 1961 356 Carrera Porsche. His kids sold it for next to nothing ( $180K) when he passed away. The car is worth over $ one million. I believe it was purchased by a metro-sexual.

33 year old checking in .. there are a few of us youngin's out here still looking for analog driving experiences. Just put a a deposit on one .. hopefully have it "stateside" by end of the month.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Zak said:

And, the "Tii" and "Ti" just don't meet that definition.  

Not sure they were ever meant to, I had a VW beetle that certainly fitted that description, cheap to run, started in any weather, very cheap parts, but it seems they’ve gone the same way in terms of price to buy these days.

7 hours ago, jackhossross said:

33 year old checking in .. there are a few of us youngin's out here still looking for analog driving experiences. Just put a a deposit on one .. hopefully have it "stateside" by end of the month.

"Analog driving experience" ? Is that what you call driving a pre-cell phone era car.

You put a deposit on a 356 Carrera  ?

Do you also wear a Vachron Konstatin wrist watch ?

Edited by Zak

17 minutes ago, Zak said:

"Analog driving experience" ? Is that what you call driving a pre-cell phone era car.

You put a deposit on a 356 Carrera  ?

Do you also wear a Vachron Konstatin wrist watch ?

Yikes I daily a 1998 Land Cruiser, own a 1989 Land Cruiser and am buying a 1973 BMW 2002.

have a nice evening sir …

Edited by jackhossross
Grammar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jackhossross said:

Yikes I daily a 1998 Land Cruiser, own a 1989 Land Cruiser and am buying a 1973 BMW 2002.

I was talking about a one million $ Porsche 356 Carrera, not an 02. And, you're thinking 02s. Why weren't you specific ?

Unless you wrench on cars be prepared to be raped by the mechanics  if purchasing an 02. Even the price of parts is very high. You almost have to be able to afford a Vachron Konstantine wrist watch to get into 02s these days.

I'm old enough to remember the TRS-80 computer. I'm pre-digital, pre-cell phone, pre-analog and pre-historic ! 

Since you're into Toyotas why not opt for one of those classic 1960s era Toyota Land Cruisers ?

"Have - A - Nice Day" ?

Well ! Have a Nice Day to you too. 

3 hours ago, Zak said:

why not opt for one of those classic 1960s era Toyota Land Cruisers ?

Because some level of creature comfort is nice, I once drove from Sydney to Byron Bay in one….these days I do it in a modern all wheel drive, the Aussie environment is just to hot for a car like that today!

Throwing a board in the back and nicking down a local beach would be ok but 8hrs driving in 40+ degrees is overrated😁

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1

Ignore the troll @jackhossross, you are welcome here and 99.9999999999999% of the people are super welcoming and helpful. The best answer is not to reply.

Looking forward to seeing your car!

Jason

• Like 9

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!