• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Market fallen this hard for our beloved cars?

Wow, That looks great! You will have years of fun with that, lots of helpful people here, and great guidance for some of the jobs I’ve done on my car, no offence intended with anything I’ve said just chatting.

so welcome!

Edited by SydneyTii

8 hours ago, jackhossross said:

I guess I’ll just see myself out of this conversation.

Nice little welcome to the BMW 2002 FAQ party here.

cheers 🍻 

I was trying to give you honest advice based on 40+ years of experience with these cars. And my opinion doesn't represent that of the the FAQ and many of its members. So, don't judge the FAQ based on my opinion, only. I'm sure you'll find common ground with others here who are more than willing to "party" with you. But, count me out. I'm done with "partying". 

As far as that car is concerned, it appears to be a nice car that can be driven on the street. The most unique and rarest part on that car are the Borrani Wheels. The 5 speed overdrive transmission and limited slip diff, which are included in the sale, are a good bonus. But, be prepared to spend $$$ installing them, if you don't wrench on cars.

The car is expensive as far as I'm concerned. A lot of work was done to it, though. Not all of us here are a part of your generation. When I was your age a car like this was about $5,000. If you have $20k - $40K to throw around, I would advise you against spending it on this car. I never intend to sell my cars. And, these new prices are incomprehensible to me as are most people who grew up with a cell phone. That's one of the reasons I'm no longer driving my cars to the shows, especially here in Los Angeles.

I'm hoping the market drops and these things cost no more than $5,000, again.

Edited by Zak

11 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

Ignore the troll @jackhossross, you are welcome here and 99.9999999999999% of the people are super welcoming and helpful. The best answer is not to reply.

Looking forward to seeing your car!

Jason

I've been here since the FAQ started, and I have helped a lot of people and contributed a lot of info to the FAQ. Before the FAQ I contributed to previous online sites. And, over the years I've witnessed this hobby change for the worse.  It now attracts  people representative of a completely different socio-economic class. And, I'm not that guy who wears a smiley face T-shirt which reads "Have a Nice Day". I  find the phrase fake, merely perfunctory and condescending.  

@jackhossross ! Yes, there are many people here who will answer your questions and help you, probably 99.9999999%. But, at this point I won't, not after the sarcastic "Have A Nice Day" remark. This is an example of why I should stay away from these boards and shows.

In that pick above my brother and I are wearing matching sweaters, knitted by my mom from our sheep yarn  she spun on a spinning wheel and dyed with dye made from vegetables such as radishes etc. My first choir at 7 years of age was being a shepherd. I used to come home smelling like sheep. That's a world you'll never comprehend, nor will many of the people here. 

You can take your newly acquired acquisition to one of the shows. If you're in Los Angeles, you can take it to Griffith Park the last Sunday of each month and rub shoulders with the metro-sexual guano dropping shit birds, if that's what you want to do. But, the chances are you won't find me there any longer. And. I'll make certain to to stay away from this board as much as possible as well. I've had enough. I'm too old for this crap. And, you can take my place here and start contributing.

Have a Nice Day !

png-clipart-smiley-desktop-happiness-face-smiley-miscellaneous-face.png

Edited by Zak

28 minutes ago, Zak said:

I've been here since the FAQ started, and I have helped a lot of people and contributed a lot of info to the FAQ. Before the FAQ I contributed to previous online sites. And, over the years I've witnessed this hobby change for the worse.  It now attracts  people representative of a completely different socio-economic class. And, I'm not that guy who wears a smiley face T-shirt which reads "Have a Nice Day". I  find the phrase fake, merely perfunctory and condescending.  

Yes, there are many people here who will answer your questions and help you, probably 99.9999999%. But, at this point I won't, not after the sarcastic "Have A Nice Day" remark.

you complain about prices of everything in every post. That’s not a contribution. This forum would be better without you. That’s why you keep getting banned and making new accounts. 

• Like 7

My 2002 is my favorite vehicle, followed by my Bombardier Global 5500.  I don’t drive my H225 Super Puma as much as I’d like, but it’s not worth my time to sell it.  The big problem I have with my 2002 is that it’s not on my island, so I might just buy a second one.  As far as I can tell, I’m just your average Hublot-wearing, coke-sniffing 2002 buyer, just like the rest of you guys. 

• Haha 2

I'm not the king of the FAQ or even a prince but I have been here since day one and if you want to ban or disregard someone with 40 years experience with these cars especially early cars  over their opinion or economic views then I question why we need you, I've known slavs for a few years and we don't agree on much but he has always been a straight up operator, and if we ever get together over a beer our talk will be loud and contentions but we will part as friends, can you say the same?

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 10/12/2024 at 8:55 PM, Zak said:

"Analog driving experience" ? Is that what you call driving a pre-cell phone era car.

You put a deposit on a 356 Carrera  ?

Do you also wear a Vachron Konstatin wrist watch ?

The have a nice evening remark was in response to quite a few assumptions that were mistakenly assumed of myself. Wasn’t really sarcasm as much as me trying to close the topic and move on.

This all stems from what seems to be miscommunication on a forum about BMW 2002’s - surrounding whether I was buying a BMW 2002 or a Porsche 356 - ha!

I enjoy driving old cars without all the silly sensors as I find them more enjoyable to work on. Surprised my pride was misunderstood.

Let’s all move on!

Edited by jackhossross
  • Like 5

Maaan. I just wandered into this thread for the first time. ha! 

Not sure I should weigh my opinions, since I'm definitely a green-loving environmentally conflicted post-petrolheaded lunatic who wants to EV Swap his 2002

Because Fast is Fun. :) Below is full bonkers AWD Gruppe 5, been playing around with making some guess-gineer'ed illustrations on the topic.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f1413e07105f8c2eb845d0c6224f90b.jpeg

A more mild-mannered, single-motor swap is more likely where I'd like to end up, at least with Brunhilde. 

image.thumb.jpeg.369b6a5b48c4d77e5d4b802a8fde6a2e.jpeg

Also, not an engineer. 

On the topic of values... yah.

While I'm happy to see the value of my car climb relatively proportional to the investments I've made in it and hope to never ever sell her, it's a bit of a comfort to know that if shit hits the fan I've got a little silver parachute to fall back on as values climb. 

Here in EU prices peaked during the pandemic, but classic car values seem to largely have stabilized, I feel. . However, demand is just not there, as consumers become more weary about the future of the economy/markets/etc. globally. The price asked is often not the price settled on, and you see a lot of 40-60k euro 2002 ads hang around for months/years.

But to me the '02 has always been the every-mans tinkerer project car, affordable to get into, easy and cost-effective to work on, and a joy to drive. I hate to see that lost.

While I think it's a high-value driving and ownership experience, it bums me a little to see it grow into a more premium priced classic vehicle. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2024 at 6:52 PM, jackhossross said:

I sent a deposit to James who was selling this vehicle that failed to reach reserve.

1973 BMW 2002

1973_bmw_2002_jmz_3334-65791.jpg?fit=169

Pretty excited.

I hope you land this thing! From where I sit, that's a seriously nice build and checks all the right boxes. Bids to 20k... For the sum of its parts alone, that thing has far more than that invested in it! 

image.png.cc96dbe3a0406c32f598a3e7d4676b64.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3