• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Market fallen this hard for our beloved cars?

Wow. What a thread.

Yeah, prices have gone up; I'm not surprised. The 2002 owners in the OH/IN/KY region are generally not what you would call speculators/flippers/posers. Folks here drive them and they don't think of them as investments or as a status symbol. 

Anyhow, we have been having a lot of good experiences in the Midwest and we welcome young new 2002 owners. I recently met and befriended a young 02 owner who is wrenching on his new-to-him 75 Verona 02. His enthusiasm and willingness to put in the time, effort and $$ to get it roadworthy again is quite refreshing. My friend, Dene, has resurrected a 2002 which had been sitting outside for decades. Purchase price: $0. He has spent a lot on parts since that time, though! He seems happy to me.

• Like 7

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

On 10/11/2024 at 10:09 PM, Zak said:

I'm surrounded by them here in Los Angeles. But, there are much more of them down in San Diego and up in "Frisco" (San Francisco). In San Diego they take on the rustic-earthy persona while in San Francisco they are quite the provincial snobs. San Francisco was the first city in the nation to mandate flow-flow water saving toilets. The low flow toilets don't have enough water to carry excrement very far in older plumbing and sewers, especially metro-sexual Yuppie excrement from ingested organic vegan meals consumed at overpriced restaurants. So, they  clogged up the city sewers. They then had to pump in toxic chemicals to dissolve it. 

Metrosexuals don't wrench on cars because they are afraid of breaking their nails or getting them dirty, among other things. In Los Angeles some have discovered the Porsche 912 and are buying them as an accessory acquisition. Their other accessories may include Feragamo shoes and a Vacheron Konstantin wrist watch. 

One of popular morning car shows in LA is organized by them. I no longer go out to the shows, as I'm trying my best to avoid them. 

WWW.INFOGRADES.COM

When it comes to shopping, both metrosexual shoppers and heterosexual buyers have different brand preferences. Here's a comparison on the spending habits of...

Zlavs, you should run clickbait content farms. The engagement you drive is like no other...

Also, that infographic is funny. Not sure anyone besides that site uses the term metrosexual anymore, but as a "metrosexual" (albeit one that thrifts his clothes and darns his second hand Everlane sweaters whenever they get a hole) I find the idea that I would buy a Michael Kors watch insulting. That's the Oldsmobile Bravada of watches. 😜 I'll take a workhorse automatic Seiko field watch, thankyouverymuch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I will chop-up my cars with an electric saw rather than selling or passing them on to the self-entitled, arrogant, conceited, egotistical, parasitic metro-sexual and post-metrosexual non-binary digital jack-asses who sip their overpriced grande venti latte at Starbucks. There is no amount of $$$$ which can dissuade me from doing so.  Go look for your "Roundie" and drop your $$$$$ on an 02 somewhere else, like Bring A Trailer.  You'll never have my 02s. 

And, don't ask me to be your mechanic for hire. Go break a knuckle or nail. I'm not working on your cars for no amount of $$$$$. I rather shovel manure in my barn. It's much more of a noble undertaking. 

How do you like that for value ?

Edited by Zak

11 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Just we ALL wait for the coming of A.I.  to pick up on this thread and use it as an algorithm for bot responses whenever the topic mentions prices.  

WE ARE ALL DOOOMED!

Help us Ray, help us! 

Great! I will be " Big in Japan "

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Zak said:

I will chop-up my cars with an electric saw rather than selling or passing them on

You realize that if you do that you’ll be making these cars even more scarce thereby upping their value right? 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

In some odd sense of irony, there is a BMW 2002 in the background of the movie as Charlie is headed home during the first minute after the opening credits. 

image.thumb.png.8cd7426bfa1dd5a754a07fe6fba5fef0.png

And then there’s this photo too!  I guess this will further enrage Slav, as proof that back in the day even Grandpa Jo, living in squallor in a 1-room shack with 5 other family members, could afford to drive an '02 before all the yuppies drove the costs up. 

IMG_2963.webp

Edited by HobieDog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Like anybody gives a rat's ass who anybody sells their cars to, or who fixes them. Nobody cares who buys them, either.

It's not like angry swarms of Gen X'rs are sweeping the land, Starbucks in hand, prying 02's from unwitting and helpless boomers at discount prices. Gee, there's another conspiracy theory for you to run with. 

Go back to your lawn chair and scream at the hopped up Subarus and loud Honda Civics who are tearing up the neighborhood, preying upon your daughters with their long hair and swiveling hips. Oh wait, that was Elvis 75 years ago.

It's bad enough getting old and facing mortality. It's better to do so happy, rather than being a miserable old coot.

• Like 8

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

3 hours ago, Tdh said:

You realize that if you do that you’ll be making these cars even more scarce thereby upping their value right? 😀

You are correct. But, in doing so it will give me the gratification of knowing they will not fall in "enemy"hands.