• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Market fallen this hard for our beloved cars?

1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

Yeah I’m a big fan of 13’s on these cars, I have a set of 14” superlites as well but am yet to fit them, would love some 13” tyres that grip well in the wet but the price of CN36 over in Aus isn’t getting any cheaper!

I agree with you. The CN36 tires are just not affordable for the average person. I've been able  to find high performance touring tires in 205/60 x 13 for a very good price, $300 for a set of 4. They are mandated for use on Legends cart cars to keep speeds safer and lower on the track. But, they only come up for sale once a year for several weeks, probably trying to sell the left over unused stock they have. 185/70 x 13 is a more practical size, though. There are many brands, but not many high performance  tires. There is a bigger selection in the smaller 175/70 x 13 size. Both, the 205/60 x 13 and 175/70 x13 are the same overall diameter, which is about 3% shorter than the stock tire size from the factory. The 185/70 x 13 diameter matches the stock 165/80 x 13 diameter. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, NYNick said:

I owned a few restaurants back in the day. A few customers would walk in miserable before they even sat down. They would then proceed to disrespect the server, complain about the food and tell us the prices were too high. It was entirely predictable. We knew who they were.

Misery is optional. Apparently you have made your choice to the detriment of those around you.

Your bigotry is distasteful. BMWFAQ is one of the nicest car forums on the internet and no place for this garbage.

Just bumping this one, as I agree. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:
On 10/16/2024 at 5:18 AM, NYNick said:

I owned a few restaurants back in the day. A few customers would walk in miserable before they even sat down. They would then proceed to disrespect the server, complain about the food and tell us the prices were too high. It was entirely predictable. We knew who they were.

Misery is optional. Apparently you have made your choice to the detriment of those around you.

Your bigotry is distasteful. BMWFAQ is one of the nicest car forums on the internet and no place for this garbage.

Yes, you're right, there are a lot of nice people here. 

I genuinly extended you an invite to show you around town in my 02. Since you're fond of James Dean,  I would show you the very place where James Dean was depicted in a knife fight in "Rebel Without a Cause" at the the Griffith Park Observatory. I took a pic of my 80s era girlfriend at that very spot which I shared with you already, above.   

And, if you'd like I'll even play "The Smiths" for you along the way. One of my favorite 80s era "Alternative" bands. And, they were "Alternative" in more ways than music. 

Oh please, let's not talk about restaurants, especially here in Los Angeles or in New York City. Besides bad food there are a lot of distasteful things in this world with which  we have to contend with on a daily basis, especially in places like Los Angeles. And, that includes Griffith Park with all its disgusting and perverse history.  

I don't think you're sore about "Bigotry" or anything like that since over the years you've disagreed with anything I've ever mentioned relating to  prices and values among other things. You, simply seem to have no empathy for the disadvantaged and lower income when it comes to these cars or probably just about anything.  When I purchased my first 02 I was a student on a shoo string budget. But, I was able to afford it and keep it going. 

The pic below is of that very car with the old girlfriend at the Griffith Park Observatory in 1986. Notice the missing bumper guard rubber on the rear bumper along with missing belt line trim. That car was a driver. I drove it all over the city and the surrounding area. It was no garage queen or expensive acquisition affordable to only the wealthier people such as the Liberachis of the world . That's where we're headed now with the 02. And, that's the underlying message which I've been trying to convey weather you like it or not.

Christine-BMW-1.jpg

Edited by Zak

3 hours ago, NYNick said:

I think you're delusional.

Well, is that a "yes" or "No" ?

When you get out here I'm more than willing to show you around, everywhere. including the "other side of the railroad tracks" . We can go to the junkyards. That's really fun. And, we can do it all in my 02. You can tell me all about New York and the Stock Market. And you can laugh and listen to me as I ramble and complain about everything. You got seven decades under your belt, and I have nearly six. We'll look like two of fools arguing while driving down the road in a cool car.

I think that's what we're starting to look like here.

Edited by Zak

@conkitchen

OMG, that's funny.

Is that what happened ? Christine, the girlfriend with the  long legs with whom I drove around all over town in my 1600 back in 1986 was actually Liberace ? No way !

Now, I'm confused !

Is that why we listened to "The Smiths" and went to their first show at the Hollywood Palladium back in the summer of 86 ?

"Hand in Glove"

The Smiths:

Hand in glove
The sun shines out of our behinds
No, it's not like any other love
This one is different, because it's us
Hand in glove
We can go wherever we please
And everything depends upon
How near you stand to me
And if the people stare
Then the people stare
Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care
Kiss my shades
Hand in glove
The good people laugh
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we've something they'll never have
Hand in glove
The sun shines out of our behinds
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we've something they'll never have
And if the people stare
Then the people stare
Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care
Kiss my shades
So, hand in glove I stake my claim
I'll fight to the last breath
If they dare touch a hair on your head
I'll fight to the last breath
For the good life is out there somewhere
So stay on my arm, you little charmer
But I know my luck too well
Yes, I know my luck too well
And I'll probably never see you again
I'll probably never see you again
I'll probably never see you again

Christine-BMW-3.jpg

Christine-2.jpg

Edited by Zak

Slavs, 

listen, I get it. Inflation sucks, and having to talk cars with the new generation of cool kids can be awkward. 

BUT…

In the grand scheme of things, 2002’s are still cheap compared to most other “collector cars.” In fact, and I’ll debate you on this till the end of time, they’re at the lower end of the market as a whole.  I’ll give you they’re not AMC Pacer cheap but cars like that are shit anyway and don’t count. 

As far as the crowd who’s into ‘02’s that you don’t like? Well, they’re a modern version of you as a teen only three decades later. Yea, I’m making some assumptions about you, but I’ll wager they’re accurate based on your taste in music and the fact that you grew up in LA. Sure the gender thing is in the mix more so now than when you were 20, but they’re cut from the same rebellious punk/alt cloth as you. If anything you should be flattered that a new generation of cool kids digs your style and wants to emulate it (meaning in your choice of cool car).

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tdh said:

If anything you should be flattered that a new generation of cool kids digs your style and wants to emulate it (meaning in your choice of cool car).

Yeah see I tell my daughter that I’m cool…. Usually just results in an eye roll😂

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tdh said:

Slavs, 

listen, I get it. Inflation sucks, and having to talk cars with the new generation of cool kids can be awkward. 

BUT…

In the grand scheme of things, 2002’s are still cheap compared to most other “collector cars.” In fact, and I’ll debate you on this till the end of time, they’re at the lower end of the market as a whole.  I’ll give you they’re not AMC Pacer cheap but cars like that are shit anyway and don’t count. 

As far as the crowd who’s into ‘02’s that you don’t like? Well, they’re a modern version of you as a teen only three decades later. Yea, I’m making some assumptions about you, but I’ll wager they’re accurate based on your taste in music and the fact that you grew up in LA. Sure the gender thing is in the mix more so now than when you were 20, but they’re cut from the same rebellious punk/alt cloth as you. If anything you should be flattered that a new generation of cool kids digs your style and wants to emulate it (meaning in your choice of cool car).

Thanks for the level-headed input. I agree with a lot of what you convey here. For example, the 02 is still relatively cheap in comparison to the the classic Porsche and other cars. 

As far as your assumptions and comparisons with the  similarities between me as a 22 year old and the modern counter- culture generation, you are also correct. I was part of the counter culture then. And, there is a newer version of the counterculture now to which I don't relate.  I try to keep an open mind, though. And, what you say is valid on many levels.

The counterculture  has drastically changed, though. I don't want to get into specifics because it involves politics. But, suffice to say that the new counterculture prioritizes sexuality, gender change etc over the plight of the working class. There is nothing "Cool" about them. And, they certainly lack the Punk Rock "angst". They are everywhere in Los Angeles.

If I was younger, I'd trade in my cars in for a ZAZ Zaporozhets or Lada and fight against this vermon in my own "Counter-culture" way.

5e9dcde885600a03d82775aa.jpg

1024px-Putin_with_his_1972_Zaporozhets.jpg

Edited by Zak

4 hours ago, Zak said:

…. suffice to say that the new counterculture prioritizes sexuality, gender change etc…..

Its all the micro plastics effecting estrogen level production within our bodies. 

man is doomed 

• Haha 1

But what do I know