• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel pressure for dummies please

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, I admit it.. i don't get it. or rather I'm just missing something. Can someone explain to me how I *should* hook my fuel system in my 02 m20 conversion? What I don't get is the need for both a low pressure fuel pump (or an in-tank pre-pump) and the high pressure pump. If the high-pressure pump is adequate/high quality, why do you need the low pressure one? I want to do this RIGHT.. which means putting in all new fuel line, pumps, etc. Probably go with Aeroquip Socketless hose, 6 AN, and want to hook it up to the proper pumps in the back, with an adjustable regulator and gaugery. I've been trying to figure out the attached pic of David McIntyre's e21.. but I still don't get what goes where. and why.

and oh yeah, i'll probably be getting a fuel cell as well, as I know a guy selling one for cheap. Only parts I actually have already for this part of the project are a e21 prepump and pump off of my parts car.. but that doesn't mean i have to use them.

thx.

idiot matt

Guest Anonymous

First off, the intank pump is not mandatory. Second, you need a fuel pick-up with in and out.

The electric fuel pump can be from a 320 or 318 and will fit right under the trunk, above the passenger side halfshaft. It has a system pressure of around 70psi but the stock fuel pressure regulator that comes with your engine will take care of keeping the pressure between 33 and 39 psi. I do not recommand placing the pump in the trunk as many gallons of fuel can occupy that space if something goes wrong for a few seconds.

The fuel lines can either stay under the car and be routed on the driver side of the floorpan, way from the exhaust system. Or, as I did, I routed them in the cockpit on the side of the tranny tunnel and drilled two holes in the center of the front bulkhead.

Too bad my car is stored as I could have sent you a few pictures of how I did.

Guest Anonymous

sorry, i don't know why that picture didn't show up. Thanks for the info Lee.. I'm starting to figure it out in my head a bit more now.

And also a 'public' thats to Lee for the many, many emails of mine he's answered over the last few months with my never-ending questions :)

thx

matt

Guest Anonymous

fuel.jpg

apparantly i forgot how to attach pics... here it is. if anyone can tell me what everything does.. i'd be gratefull. what i DO know is that there is a low pressure and high pressure pump.. and obviously a regulator. but i don't know what goes where.. and why

http://www.davidmcintyre.org/images/Photo1-18-01/fuel.jpg

http://www.davidmcintyre.org/images/Photo1-18-01/fuel.jpg