• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Balancing Blower Fan

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Firstly, can I say 'well done!' to all those who have made this new board possible - the concept of a one stop shop for all '02 info. will be a winner!

I've just pulled the heater box - great notes incedently - so I can repalce the motor. How critical is balancing the fan? I opted for a new motor, not the complete fan assembly, due to cost. If I have to balanc the sucker, how do I do this on the bench?

Guest Anonymous

Presuming your old motor is shot (they can't be rebuilt--they're welded together)and if your fan has a plastic hub (i.e. no set screw)-

1. saw the motor housing apart so you can remove the armature.

2. saw the end of the armature off just below the fan hub.

3. place the sawed off end of the armature shaft in a deepwell socket so that the hub is supported by the socket's lip.

4. carefully drive the armature shaft through the hub with a suitably sized drift (or a nail with the point ground flat)

Be careful not to loosen the hub on the blades--they're just pressed together and you want 'em to stay in one piece. And note exactly where the fan set on the armature shaft (measure it) so you'll know where to place it on the new motor. If you get it wrong, it'll hit something in the heater box.

good luck

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73