• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Steve with the 5 point harness question!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

steveos_car_tiny.jpg

Just found out this weekend: the older models had the 3 point rear seat belts attached to the C-Pillar. So if you have a later model you might already have a place to install it. Also, there is a nut welded into the hat shelf closer to the sides whre you can attach the harness.

good luck,

steve k.

Guest Anonymous

Cage1.JPG

DO NOT INSTALL A 5 POINT HARNESS WITHOUT A ROLL BAR!!!

The stock three point is meant to allow your body to move to the side in case of roll over. Most people in a roll over end up shifting within their belt and get shoved under the dash area (not totally). A five point will bolt you upright and could cause some serious injury. Unless you want to spend the rest of your life on wheels (a chair that is) it IS NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Sorry to get all preachy but safety should be number one when it comes to the track or auto-x. Save you money and do it right. You life/spine is not worth the risk.

Todd

'68 project - stepping off the soapbox now...

Guest Anonymous

here is steve's situation as I understand it; he wants to replace his crappy stock belts now and will eventually be using a roll bar. I think the 5-point would be fine for now, Only if leaves the two upper belts behind the seat and not attatch them till he gets the bar. This should be fine IMHO

Guest Anonymous

I've been using a Simpson 5-point as a 3-point harness since my orginal reel unit fell apart. It works quite well, I feel quite secure in it. I just attach one shoulder belt to the normal shoulder anchor point, and the two lap straps to the normal lap anchor points. No second shoulder belt, no sub belt. This way you can duck if the car rolls (yeah, like _that's_ going to work), but you're not at the mercy of those ancient inertial lockup mechanisms. I'll go with 4-points when I get around to putting in a bar.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Not saying you can dug. Trust me... the roof will shove your ass under the dash quicker than you can say oh, shit.

If you don't believe me I have a few guys you can talk to.

Todd

'68 project - spends WAY to much time at the track...

Guest Anonymous

Sounds as though you are suggesting using the 5 pt as a lap belt until the cage/roll bar is in. Similar to what I did (used a lap belt until I got the cage in). IMO it would be safer although I'd want to talk to the manufacturer to see if the belt could be used in that manner first.

Todd

'68 project