• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveshaft vibration

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Help! It ain't the guibo - almost new.

Here's the thing: over 50mph, there's a steady vibration in both 4th and 5th, BUT when I put the clutch in, vibration disappears. Does this sound more like a misaligned shaft/center bearing, or could the bearing be toast?

Guest Anonymous

as I had a similar problem. The guibo may LOOK ok, but if you take it out, it may fall into pieces. You can't see the hairline cracks that form sometimes. If that's what it is, it's an easy fix. I have a spare one in the trunk now. :)

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

straight piece of wood (2"x2") and put two 2 x 4" blocks on each end. Make certain the blocks are _exactly the same size. Check that your driveline is perfectly in column.

Was this a shortended and re-balance'd driveline or a new driveline? If your center bearing and "U" joints are good, I'd be tempted to take it back to the shop that did the work and have them recheck their work.

Cheers!!

John N

Guest Anonymous

You don't say whether you did something to the driveshaft recently. Was it removed and replaced? If not I can't see the driveshaft suddenly going out of alignment or balance. this information should help. Also where do you feel the vibration and how bad is it? More info please.

Guest Anonymous

Did you check the rear tranny mount? A bad mount can cause driveline vibrations within a certain speed range.

Cheers

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73 (where I learned the above)