• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CV joint removal question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

joint in a vice so that the jaws of the vice rest on the inboard end of the joint and your shaft hangs down, and get a ~3" section of 3/4" hardwood dowel and a BFH and beat it out of there. If you use a metal drift (or big bolt), you run the risk of mushrooming the end of the half-shaft (BTDT)

Cheers!

John N.

Guest Anonymous

How are the outer CV joints held on? I removed the spring clip and they won't budge. The 320is cvs came off with no tools or resistance so I'm worried I'm missing something on my 02 CVs. Any help would be appreciated as always.-Bob

Guest Anonymous

are held in with a spring clip. The early and late E21 320i are the same as well. It is probably seized up with rust and crap. A little WD40 may help. Don't hammer the end of the axle. If you can find the right size of pipe to slip over the axle, you could try pushing it off with a ram action of the pipe. With the boot off, some heat may help too. Haven't come across a seized one yet...

Gil

72 Tii