• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 questions ...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What company makes the best Spring Set?

Where can one purchase the best sway bars?

Who manufacturers the best high performance muffler?

Which is better: a performance header or a tii exhaust manifold?

Guest Anonymous

steveos_car_tiny.jpg

I am sure you'll get a lot of replies for this and all of them will be different.

So here is my take on this. Find an aftermarket 2002 parts dealer and ask them what they'd recommend. Most of them will have a perfect setup in mind for your needs.

What are your needs? Daly driver? Road Racer? Autocrosser? What motor do you have? Is it stock? slight upgrades? Full race setup?

1. Springs. A lot of people like H&R and Ebache. I use Ireland Engineering Springs because I use a set designed for a race car by them and they know what they are doing. (not that the other guys don't, but I use the full suspension designed by Ireland, not just parts of it.

2. Sway bar. Ireland Engineering's 22mm hollow front/22mm solid rear works great for me.

3. Muffler. Once again I use Ireland Set up. It's a Magnaflow set on a 2 1/4 pipe. Not too loud. creates enough back pressure, does not eat too much power, and fits in stock places. (I was told last Sunday that I had the best sounding '02 in our Bay Area meet :)

4. Headers. You, pretty much, have a choice of Stahl Headers or Tii manifold. The word on the street is that that they allow about the same flow but Stahl is louder. I would not recommend any other cheap imitations.

that was my take on things. Who is next?

steve k.

Guest Anonymous

I think steve k. hit the nail on the head: the most important factor is the intended purpose. What is the application? And your budget. You can end up with the "best", and still end up with a crappy car if it's primarily your daily commuter. FWIW, I once did a non-stop trip to the Oregon border and back (well, I did stop for some essentials), and thanked God my suspension and exhaust were mostly all stock (standard exhaust & manifold, stock srings, Bilstein HD's, 14" bottlecaps w/60-series tires). I'm now running a lowered car w/urethane bushings, H&R springs, Bilstein Sports, 50-series rubber, and a Stahl header. The sound isn't too loud, it is my daily driver, and the trip to Fest West last year was pretty tolerable. But then again, I've learned to put up with some compromises. (My first commuter car was a 240Z with KYB's.) Ask me again in 5 years, and you may get a different answer.

Here are some good links to start with:

Ireland Engineering

Top End Performance

Korman Autoworks

Bay Area 02 Tech Tips

Hoa

'72

Guest Anonymous

only compromises. H&R springs because they are linear spring rate. Racers with progressive rates scare me. kybs or bilstein sports (warning make sure your kidneys are in good shape cause they will let you feel every pebble) The ireland sway bar setup is good. I even liked my ST upgraded bar. Big difference from stock. Don't forget to add some bigger brakes up front and in the rear. It's a nice feeling to have a solid/ powerfull brake pedal. Adjustable Camber plates are great. they make excentric bushings for camber in the back. I'd put in poly graphite - urethane all the way around to keep it firm and squeak free. Thats a great place to start.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Every H&R spring i have seen for the 2002 was progressive. The reason i went with ST was because it was linear. Progressive rate springs suck. Except for a daily driver/street car.

Trent