• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on installation of front fenders.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

On the shell that I mentioned below (a 75), the front fenders had been replaced with fiberglass ones. No rust there that I could find!!

From what I understand, the factory brazed the seam above the headlights and finished it smooth over that. I am wondering what folks think of not brazing or welding that seam up when fitting new fenders. I know it wouldn't quite be 'factory' correct, but I think by not welding or brazing it together, one would minimize rust developing in that area. The reason being, that once you heat the area up, you are inviting rust, even if the metal is properly treated with weld-through primer.

I think you would want to undercoat the inside of the wheel well & fender well and use seam sealer between the body and fender so that water can't get in there.

For that 'concourse' resto., I would do it the original factory way, but for a daily driver, maybe it makes more sense?

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

Gil

The factory spot welded the upper portion of the fender front (above the headlight) to the body shell, then leaded over the seam. The factory treatment took a long time to rust--the fender's trailing edge and parking light housings rusted out long before that seam. I've replaced front fenders a half dozen times, and leaded the seam each time with very good results (in salt country, too!). So long as you rustproof the back side of the seam--accessible just above the headlight housing--you shouldn't have any problems. And a smooth seam up there looks soooo much nicer.

If you don't want to lead(and learning to lead is kinda fun,) I'm sure epoxy or fiberglass resin will work. Just be sure and spot or plug weld the joint behind the filler, or it'll crack. And don't use "ordinary" bondo--it'll find some way to absorb water.

Good luck

Mike

Nevada '69 (on its third set of fenders)

Sahara '73 (on its second set)