• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locking Gas Cap - No Key

powelli

If you cannot find a key for the cap, some destruction will be needed.

Take the fuel filler apart from inside the trunk. Loosen the hose clamp on the bottom of the filler(near the trunk floor), then remove all 4 screws that hold the filler boot and cap mounting flange to the body. After you have it apart, move the cap and flange over to your workbench. You can then use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut off the locking tab on the underside of the gas cap. End result will be a cap that looks like a locking cap from the outside, but does not really lock. Probably OK for 99% of the time, but if gas goes up to $10 a gallon, you may want a new locking cap.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I had this problem when I bought my 1st 2002. I was able to fill through the trunk by pulling the rubber filler off the tank to get home. Once home, I removed the outside flange from inside the trunk and was easily able to remove the cap from inside the flange. I forget exactly how, I either pried the "ears" a screwdriver or turn whta the key would have turned from the inside. I do remember that it was easy and non-destructive.