• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have an older radio/speaker setup like this?

eastsidebimmer

i found a working blaupunkt frankfurt at the salvation army for $4. those were also common at the time of the 02s and were also installed on mercs i think. you can do a google for becker europa or blaupunkt frankfurt and find loads of info. i found a .pdf of the original user manual, installation instructions and wiring diagrams.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

with an ashtray at the top, so the radio was mounted below the ashtray, with a speaker angled to fill in what would be the junk bin at the bottom of the console.

You see the pictured setup mostly on early 1600s, but since all radios on USA export cars were dealer or owner installed, almost anything period is "correct" from an authenticity standpoint.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

...on page 186 you will see a line drawing of the specific application that you see in your photo.

Your pic appears to be an early chrome face Blaupunkt Frankfurt mono pushbutton radio with a single 6" x 9" speaker grill.

The dealer installed "kits" available over the dealer parts counter included the pillar mount antenna, speaker, speaker grill, radio mounting bracket and matching BMW 2002 dash knobs.

I have one of the correct speaker grills and speaker. It is metal and crinkle painted black.

So many of these radios have been trashed over the years in favor of more modern units. Authentic, period correct bits are jumping in value. I recently sold a Becker Europa AM/FM Stereo to a a Maserati Ghibli coupe owner for a sizable profit.

Delia and Orange Julius

'73tii

Inka

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

No. I'm trying to hold on to it until I figure out if I'm sticking my current plans for setup...a vintage correct '73 radio faceplate/speaker panel and correct BMW Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM radio.

But, I also have a vintage correct NOS Japanese-built Blaupunkt Combo II AM/FM/Stereo Cassette unit...so I'm not sure...

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com