• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance Advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

just wanted to hear how some of you are insuring your cars? Stated Value, antique pol, etc. What are some good companies to make sure you have good coverage? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jason

Guest Anonymous

My car isn't really worth a lot right now, the body is rough. Mechanically it is quite sound, and I'm starting on a body repair project; new floor pieces, rocker repair, sand to metal, paint, etc.

Anyways, I've never had collision insurance on this car. I've driven it about 13 years. Right now I have Geico, and I chose a policy with supersized liability and medical limits. IMHO collision insurance is not worthwhile on any car valued less than $5k. If my car gets wrecked by another insured motorist, I'll probably be able to get repair costs out of him. If I wreck my own car, I'm an idiot and deserve to have to replace it. If my car gets wrecked by an uninsured motorist, it sucks for me (I have UIM protection, but that's really only for medical).

I figure that worst case, I'd need to buy a rust-free tub and rebuild it using the mechanical parts from my current car. This would probably cost the equivalent of 2 or 3 years worth of collision insurance premiums, and I've saved that several times over by now (ummm, well, maybe not SAVED it).

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I pay less than $ 100 per year for stated value insurance (which in my case is $ 5000). But there are restrictions which make it unsuitable for daily drivers: you can only drive 3000 miles per year (or is it 5000?), pleasure driving only, and you must keep it in a locked garage.