• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal problems with Engine builder (help) long

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys and gals, legal beagles,

A fellow list member who will be speaking up soon I imagine has run into problems with an engine rebuild. Here are the details:

Engine rebuilt by a Factory Trained Mechanic in Sept 2000.

New Mahle pistons, complete rebuild of lower half (2nd oversize) Heat was left untouched.

From day 1 motor smoked and used tons of oil

M. complained over and over but only got the run around.

was told that the rings havent seated. need to drive the car more

was told compression was in spec as was leakdown (no figures given)

Was told it was the head, so at that point head was rebuilt completely, cam, rockers, etc, valve guides were NOT CHANGED (as they were "good"

Finally after 1 year M. told builder to do something about the oil factory, #3 was fouled bad.

Car sat for 4 months on lot, finally after alot of prodding from local 02'ers build took a look.

Wrist pin on motor had knocked circlips out and badly scored cylinder walls at 180* from each other on cylinder 3.

M. was told that he needs a new block and that he would have to pay for all parts related to rebuild, Piston, bearings , seals. M. offered to pay 1/2 of parts and was abruptly told that if he didn't like the situation he could see him in court.

M. Has spent in excess of $5000 on motor to date so everything was done at retail. No favors were made here.

We find out that build had had the same failure on the last motor he built, and owner is prepared to testify.

Thoughts?

Chances in small claims? Causes of 2 wristpin faliures on 2 motors?

Thanks

Tony

Guest Anonymous

When rebuilding an engine. Do both sides of an engine. Top and bottom. Then you'll know one hasn't warped from heat. If the circlips poped out then yeah it'll score the wall. That sounds like what happened. If it's just cylinder 3 then sleeve the cylinder. (no comments on sleeves.. just suggesting solutions) I know this sounds bad and cruel but if you don't know anything about motors expect to get screwed by the wrong person. If you are having issues with oil figure out where it is comming from. A simple leak down test and a stehiscope to the side of the block would tell you it's getting past the rings and elinate the head as a possibility. If he spent 5k on that kind of a motor job I should be in the motor business. God thats a ton. there's prob $1200 in parts if you did the top and the bottom of the motor. Chances in small claims.. or in court.. depends if he's been there before. if so then slimmer. Be prepared with simple discriptions

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Here is a common problem, seen it over the years more often than I would like to remember. The problem is most people believe that an M10 engine is a complex thing requiring special tools. They believe that you need special training/years of experience to build those engines. Sure some people dont have the time or space to be bothered, but most of them drive newer cars.

I am no machinist, but I know one that is, and a very good one, so I dont have to worry about measuring and tolerances. I just tell him what I want and pick it up when its ready. Assembly is important but certainly not out of the grasp of anyone with basic hand tools, a decent manual and some time. I like to believe that those of us that own these older BMW's have more of an interest in the way they work and learning about how they work then telling your friends that you drive a BMW.

You want to add high compression pistons, how about a ported cylinder head, a performance camshaft more suited to your pistons and carbs. Again not rocket science, the key is finding the right people to do the key work. People who do those types of jobs for a living in my opinion are not the types you seek, although machinist will be an excellent example of this not being true.

How do you find these types of people? Go to your local race track during a reginal race, motorcycles(road racing) being the best IMHO. Find the fast guys, and ask them who does their engine work. They may not want to say, some like to guard those secrets, but chances are the same person is doing the majority of this work. Ask around someone will tell you.

These types of people tend to enjoy this kind of work, they work from their garages, they have regular day jobs and dont depend on pumping out work to survive. They also know excellent machinist and people with specialty equipment like high end valve seat cutting tools. They can tell you why $20 synthetic is worth the extra money, I could go on but I think you get the point. Most will be willing to show you about after a little conversation, one thing I find is they usually dont like to assemble or disassemble, more money saved.

Again I dont think Im aiming this at the wrong crowd, hope someone make use of this info. I know I wouldnt have the turbocharged 320i I have if I had never met people like I described. I would have given up long ago.

Guest Anonymous

Building 02 motors in my spare time. It would fund my habbit. Since I've also aquired a dyno and maybe a flow bench I could make some wickedly cool motors with real specs. Like each motor would come with a birth certificate stating specs etc. I've got access with my father machine shop to machine them to the most accurate tollerances. I mean sure you don't need a wet stone surfacer that's accurate to with in 1/2 a thousandth but it can't hurt eh. building the rest of the motor is something I've done before several times. Any thoughts?

Kris