• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just keeps getting sillier, the ebay tii thing does...

TobyB

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please tell me how you could replicate this car for 10k? Keep this mindset intact and perhaps 02's will never be worth anything. I, for one am tired of seeing 02's trade for less than MGs, Triumphs, ragged out Mustangs, etc.. If the 02 community thinks the cars have no worth, then they will always remain depressed in price. I personally see little virtue in spending a lot of money on anything and then telling everyone that it's worth nothing. Just makes us all look silly.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

I agree, you are a cheapskate. 02's are wonderful little cars that should be valued much higher, but are held back in price. New parts are available and relatively inexpensive. Production numbers were high compaired to other European classics. Used parts are everywhere and almost free. There are so many ratty, rusty drivers out there that the breed will have a difficult time ever attaining a lofty price. We need more trailer queens to represent the breed in order to garner interest from the people who will spend 10 to 15 grand on a really nice car. I have owned dozens of British cars, and they are rapidly increasing in value because the bad one are gone. When was the last time you saw a MG driving in the snow? And yes that was a dig directed at Madvibes!

Enjoy them for what they are, a great inexpensive drivers car.

would cost twice the selling price. So if you have one this nice and have much less in it, be thankful.

Any restoration or refurbishment to this degree, will cost at least $20K if you include the purchace price of the car.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I'm not too sure about the brown color, and I think that a car's value is dependant on the age of the buyer. Meaning the 1960-1970s muscle cars are what the boomer lusted after in thier youth and bring huge prices now. 2002s are a little later-like 1969-1976, but should increase in value as the generation who wanted one as a teenager still wants one now. I like my 1969 roundie 2002, and feel like it is a little counter culture to the muscle car, harley crowd. I also think I bought it at the right price, and the longer I keep it, and keep it as original as possible, the more it will be worth. 10k w/ 11 bids and the reserve not met is a good starting point though even for a brown squarie.

Looks pretty nice to me.....and that is a fairly rare color. I suppose the correct price or value is what someone is willing to pay. As long as someone is willing to pay say $15,000, as an example, for a clean tii, then that's what it's probably worth.

Of course many factors enter into the equation: location, local market or demand, condition, modifications, etc.

Personally, I would NEVER buy a car off ebay without looking at it in person and driving it! That's what I did with my son last year about this time. We spotted a low mileage E36 M3 on ebay, and it was not that far from us fortunately, so we went and drove it....and bought it the same day! I'm sure there were some dissapointed bidders, but the seller reserved the right to sell outright as long as the reserve hadn't been met.

He paid $20k for an original 36k miles Cosmos/Black M3 that is simply to die for!!! :-) It wasn't without some flaws, but overall an outstanding unmolested original M3. Worth it to us?...you bet...too much money?...maybe to some. But we were willing to pay that and negotiate in person.

If the car had been 1,000 miles away it would have been a much tougher decision...we would probably have passed on it unless I had someone I know look at it in person first!

My $0.02 worth.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Ah, but, do they actually sell?

If you check Ebay's completed listings, you will see that more '02s fail to meet the reserve than sell. Perhaps we can assume the average Ebay lurker/buyer is not prepared to pay those prices, which is not surprising as the whole auction thing is to get a bargain.

One wonders how long it does take to sell a well-sorted (restored) '02 and get the price the owner deserves.

My $02 worth.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

it's the fun/cost ratio that keeps me enthused about 02's. sure i once lusted after Porche 356's (even owned a rustbucket once briefly) but their prices recently have turned me off. i couldn't drive with abandon (w/i reason of course) knowing that my car represented such a high value. with 02's it's not about making money on em but rather enjoying the quirks, dealing with the small issues and keeping old metal on the road.

save your investment dollars for mutual funds, real estate...

and if you don't do the majority of work yourself, the fun/cost ratio plummets real fast.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

FIRST OFF - no one here has driven the car which is key

in assessing weather $10,000.oo is too high

to low, or just right.

ME ? if you repaint the car - why not respray the trunk ???????

33_3.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest bruno74tii

Because the color has such a, uh, selective appeal, there are very few decent sienna 02s around. You can have your inka and golf - I'm happy with my 70s-appliance-colored tii.

02's are worth what people will pay for them as stated previously in this thread. In my mind, they're still a bargain. Seen the price of restored gtv's lately? or even worse, early 911s's. Even Cortinas are getting pricey...

Get while the gettings good. If you got the cash, these cars are an absolute bargain.

Toddman

All it takes is money