• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Save my sanity!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have just spent the last two days overhauling the heater box. Everything bench tested without a hitch, but with everything back in the car, coolant plumbed back in etc, I find that when I slide the lever controling the valve and triangular flap thingy to the closed position the fan blades begin to progressively hit something the further I push the lever. I know it can't be the cable itself cos it's too far over on one side to be a problem. What could this be?? Even though it's still fresh in my mind I can't visualize what could be getting in the way. If anyone can help, particularly if the solution does't mean pulling the box and opening it up again!, please post a suggestion. I'm tired and emotional. Fuck!

Guest Anonymous

thanks Chris - not the new insulation, but the flap itself. Go figure! Out with the box, out with the rivets, blah blah blah. Dwight C is a brave man to propose re-engineering one of these little devils!

Guest Anonymous

may be interfering with the fan. The top edge of the flap that routes air through or away from the heater core clears the lower edge of the fan blades by only about .5"... That is the only thing that is moving around in that area. Did you put new foam on that flap? If so, it may have become unseated or loose and may be sticking out a bit past the flap door, which is in the position closest to the fan when closed (heat off).

The other possibility is that the fan blades were knocked askew a bit when you put the box back together. It wouldn't take much to move a blade down enough to hit the flap door. However, you would likely hear a vibration from the fan when you spin it up, if that were the case.

Unfortunately, there is no way to access this area inside the box without pulling and disassembling the box. You may be able to see what is going on in there if you look with a flashlight straight down through the hole for the center hood latch.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

I used the flap from an early heater and the fan from a late one. The late fan is slightly fatter in the blade width department, I guess a change to push more air. The late flap has a little recess to clear the fatter fan. On mine the flap will rub the fan just barely at certain half open settings, but not if the fan is at high speed.