• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best buy: great shape, ok, or project?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So for a first 2002 purchase, is it better to buy a fully restored 2002 and hope the seller did a good job (anywhere from $7500 to $12,500), an OK car that needs some body work or interior work but good motor and transmission ($4,000 to $7499), or a project car that will eventually need work but runs well. A little history of my situation, I would need one that is sound with the motor and most things electrical, but body work I can do (although I don't particularly want to due to time constraints). Money is also a constraint but in the future it "won't" be (I can plan for a purchase a few years away, its not like I am made of money). Located in NC, I don't get many looks, so looking here and on different websites has currently been my only source of information (what is up with CA and all the 2002s!!!). Any ideas, thoughts? Thanks.

I'd stay away from a car with any major rust. Paint can be done OK, but at an expense of time and money, rust is another beast, unless you like cutting, and welding. A nice 2002, well sorted would be worth it if you want to drive it daily, as project cars somtimes sit for a spell. Ask my, ol 69 2002 that needs a paint job. It was running great when I parked it, but I felt that I better get the body painted before started to rust. Still need a front windshield, and both windshield gaskets, plus trim tabs and I have all the parts to put humpty together again. Now I need to finish sanding and skiming the body for paint. I think that depending on where you live, you might find a good one at the lower end of your budget 3-4k. Just keep an eye out, and buy the best car you can find/afford.

It also depends on how soon you want it. If you're willing to wait for a few months you can find a little of both. earlier this year I bought a 75 Auto with little to no rust and a drop-in motor from the factory with about 15K on it for 2 grand about an hour south of Raliegh. They're around you just have to look. I found mine in the collector car trader online, it also has a 74 in it right now for 3500.

Where in NC are you??

My 75

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Yeah I talked to the guy about the $3500 one in Burlington (I am in Winston) but didn't have time this weekend to see it (said some '02 club guys were coming to see it on Sunday). It also has non stock rims (gold ones I think) which is a turn off for me. But just to see one should be great if it is still around. Seen one available in Charleston (5750) and in Memphis (9hours or so away) but I think I will have to be patient and find one. My concern is would it be better to restore that $3500 one back to original/rebuilt or spend the $$$ on one that already has been? For example, there "looks" to be an awesome tii at aventuramotors.com, but do I want to spend $12,500 on one when this one in N Charleston looks good too. I also have been browsing Ebay, but how do you distinguish the scams from the real deal? I can't visit the ones far away, the closest one I have seen was one in FL that the seller didn't really want to sell, but was willing to part at the right price. I guess I want to be as informed as possible before I make an acquisition.

'06 Jetta

'04 Odyssey

_____ 2002 (someday...)

I talked to the guy in Charleston a few weeks ago. That 02 seems to be a pretty good deal for what you get. It just depends on how much you want to spend. For example I bought the '74 02 on classic auto trader that was in San Fran area. He was asking $2995 and I got it for $2500, but I have also put about another thousand in it and probably have at least another thousand to go, and I can drive it every day just like it is. But it is still not in quite as good of shape as the $5700 car in Charleston, but close.

About buying on Ebay or from far away, I have no problem with it. The key is communication and expectations. Get lots of pictures, don't be afraid to ask very specific questions, and try to buy from an 02 enthusiast, especially for your first 02. You should be able to get a pretty good feeling about the person if you communicate over the phone. I bought my 2000 528i and my 1974 2002 over the internet.

So like someone already said, it depends. One thing I would do though is decide if you want a project or not. In other words don't buy a pretty nice 02 then do a nuts and bolts restoration. If you choose to get one that just needs a little work remember the engine is the easy part, rust is the hard part.-->Tod

'74 2002 Riviera 32/36 Wife's daily driver

'00 528i Sport 140,000+ and going strong

Did you buy it from a guy named Brian by any chance?? I'm about 30 minutes SE of Raleigh, and have a bunch of 2002's but none that look that nice.

Bret.

It also depends on how soon you want it. If you're willing to wait for a few months you can find a little of both. earlier this year I bought a 75 Auto with little to no rust and a drop-in motor from the factory with about 15K on it for 2 grand about an hour south of Raliegh. They're around you just have to look. I found mine in the collector car trader online, it also has a 74 in it right now for 3500.

Where in NC are you??

My 75

TK

body/trim/interior work (dents, minor rust, interior wear) with really good mechanicals than a pristine body with bad mechanicals...Why? because one needing minor type cosmetic work can be driven while you do the work (presuming you don't mind driving a car missing pieces and/or with primer spots on it--I don't) so you won't lose your enthusiasm for the project. A non-runner with a nice body, though will sit and not be driveable until you get the mechanical work done...and it's easier to ignore and eventually lose interest in a non-runner than a driver.

I drove my '69 daily for over five years while I was working on the body--wasn't pretty but it ran fine (and the heater worked!) and I didn't lose interest. A trip to the paint shop over the winter and it emerged like new.

This presupposes, of course that you like to work on your own car and either know how to do this stuff or can learn...Otherwise, buy someone else's completed project--so long as it was done correcctly to begin with.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite