• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorta OT: 320i running problems--any advice?

eastsidebimmer

Hi all, I ran into a guy with a decent looking 79 320i for sale *cheap* and I thought I'd ask here before I go guest somewhere on a E21 Board.

Recently changed the starter. New alternator, fuel pump, distributor, battery and tuned. BMW currently won't start. needs wiring from Alternator to coil. Ran great until swapped starter The problem with the start issue is…wiring from the starter to the coil is messed up. When I had the new starter installed suddenly it wouldn’t start anymore. I wired from the battery to the coil directly, she started right up and stayed started till I removed the wire (didn’t want to burn out the coil.)

Any ideas on a simple fix? I know these are not worth much, but for the right price it might be worth dragging home.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

(And yes, this is exactly the type of thing that will get me on the fast track to divorce, I know.)

--> 1968 2002 <--

Sounds like the same kinda problem I had after putting in my starter....

It started OK for a day, but then it quit running and the coil wire melted the insulation.

I traced the wire back, and it was the same wire that went to the starter... but if I connected them to the same wire, my starter would never turn off.

I ended up just replacing the melted wire all the way back to the point where it was not melted anymore. Then I just ran a wire from my battery to a toggle switch in the car, then ran that to the starter, and use that to trigger my starter. Just a temporary fix thats still there because I'm too lazy to figure out the real problem. A lot of the wiring has been re-worked by the PO and I can't find a wire that only triggers the starter.

Sorry, I'm no help, but I'm interested in finding a solution some day.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Guest Anonymous

There's alot of wires on the starter, its easy to install one incorectly. Check the old posts at www.bmw320i.com you'll probably find something. Remember that the '77-'79 320i is different in almost every way from the far more common '80-'83. If nothing else look for a member there with the screen name "shauer" and e-mail him, he's the most knowledgable about the early models.