• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still more on ignition locks... help needed

Mike Self

After some further research, I've discovered there are three different ignition locks used on 2002s, not two as I previously surmised. This thanks to Derek Scott and Jerry Curry. The first two are only found on the early cars and while they interchange as complete assemblies the innards for the most part don't, except the ignition switch itself.

Need your help to pin down when these locks were used; if you have a USA 2002 with a VIN lower than about 1665200 or a 1600 with a VIN lower than 1568000 and you're reasonably sure your ignition switch is original (i.e. the key matches the door lock and/or you know the car's history) please take a look at the lock face surround.

Both early locks are marked "HALT" "GARAGE" FAHRT" and "START" clockwise around the lock cylinder (the later [type 3] locks have a "O" instead of "GARAGE"). The earliest lock (type 1) has the words FAHRT and START run together with no spacing between the words; type 2 locks have a definite space between the two words.

I'm trying to determine when in production these locks were used. I'm not at all sure the type 1 locks were used on 2002s--only 1600s but don't know that for sure. Someone on the board has a very early 2002--VIN somewhere in the 16605xx range that might give us an answer. It appears that the changeover to the larger (type 3) and later locks occurred sometime around March/April 1969 at around VIN 1665200 (1600 VIN unknown) but I'd like more info from cars around that VIN.

So...you early 1600/2002 owners, check your ignition locks and either post or drop me an e-mail. I'll share what I find.

BTW--the NK cars seem to have used igntion locks entirely different from any of the three types found on '02s...

cheers and TIA

mike

PS--I'm still looking for a type 2 parts lock that I can canabalize...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

If you have lock cylinder problems (vs problems with the electrical switch part of the ignition lock/switch assy), the easiest way to remove the lock cylinder to repair is to...

1. Remove the cardboard underdash panels around the steering column, then the lower part of the black steering column surround (metal on single barrel roundies, plastic on later cars). That'll expose the diecast housing that holds the lock cylinder and ignition switch.

2. Look at the six o'clock position on the underside of the housing; on early cars you'll see the head of a pin or rivet about 2.5-3 mm in diameter; later ones have a much smaller roll pin. Choose a suitably-sized drill bit, and drill out the pin. Take it easy; you don't want to drill so deep that you drill into the lock mechanism itself--4-6 mm should do it.

3. Insert the key (if you have it) so as you drill you can keep a little pressure on the cylinder, pulling it toward you; when you finally break through the pin, the lock cylinder will pull right out. If you don't have the key, work your fingernails under the chrome edge of the lock assy and pull towards you.

When you get the lock cylinder out of its housing, observe the position of both the lock and the ignition switch--they only mate in one position.

Hope that helps.

cheers

mike