• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blubirds story (duh I forgot to post it)

Lorfjord

Thanks guys!!! and thanks for all the help. I forgot to post what was initially wrong with the body. (duh)

She had front end damage; broken grilles (thanks Pierre for sales of the grilles) dented and rusted hood and front end. (Looked like it had a black eye..hence the joke about the facelift) All the areas that were round metal trim had rust. But no rust on the undercarraige or engine area.

I had to move the drivers side trim to open and close the door. It was rusted and moved like a gyroscope. Some cracked lights (thanks RobH) Rust around the windows and rotted door seals (thanks Blunt for the seals), when I initially drove her through the car wash, I got as wet as the car.

The paint was chipped in many places and it looked wierd like it was partially touched up with Atlantic color.

Next comes the interior. dash is good, seats are good. I need new steering wheel and radio/cd and speakers. The speakers rotted out of the doors and now live in the trunk.

I still have some extra roundels for hood and trunk (makes for nice earrings ha ha)

Really? Pastelblau? The body shop which is next to where I get the car serviced said it was Fjord. The 2nd owner I got it from said its Fjord. Perhaps the other color I thought was atlantic was fjord. I dont know.

at this point, since they took 6 mos to do it, with lots and lots of self control not shoe shopping (I realized I only have TWO feet ;-))), it stays this color.

but I'll try to find out. Perhaps its just her blinding beauty that makes her look Pastelblau? She's dainty when parked but a animal on the freeway. The beemer guys here also said not to park her in a lot, butt heads may want to ding her, and shes not that kind of car ha ha ha

The original id sticker says fjord. That color on Arizona's engine space looks like the other color my car was, which I incorrectly referred to as atlantic. What color are the Volvos? They look like fjord as well. This paint looks a tad lighter.

I'll take another pic away from the sun.

... I think of Datsuns. They had a series of early sedans called Bluebirds... starting with the 310 in 1959/60 up through the 510, the sedans were all Bluebirds.

The work you have done to revive this car is GREAT! Keep it up.

BTW, it looks Pastelblau since Fjord looks more silver-like in the sun. But, I have seen 02s with newly painted Fjord and it can look similar to Pastelblau in the right light. So, if your car has a very fine metallic blue finish, then it is probably pretty close to Fjord.

Enjoy and keep us updated on your progress.

Brian

The project started out with "I can" and ended with "I can pay for"

I respect the car and didnt want to see her rust any more.

sooo as I walk barefoot to work, eating Ramen noodles and cheerios, it was worth it, to come home and start her engine in the garage, cuz I'm too ocd to drive her....ha ha ha

and I'd have to say, since I took the flashlight out to the car, parked in the garage, covered by a baby blanket, I cant see. Maybe He painted it too light with no metallic flakes....but I'm not changing my onscreen beemer name. Lorblau..hmmmm well maybe

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to have started any controversy. Again your '02 looks great. I guess Sahara is one of the no doubter colors, though I have seen a bit of variation from the Sahara roundies to the Sahara square taillight cars. Just enjoy the OCD of owning your 2002. Jim_75Sahara

no worries about color controversy. If it wasnt for you guys, I wouldnt be having as much fun with the car.

I just took another look and its pastelblau now. the paint was spotted when we started so who knew.

fraulein blau-her (whinny!!!) :-)))

she's been sitting for 5 months and seems to run fine. any suggestions before I take her up the pch?