• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LSD ?s for Gil and other experts-long

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I got one of the cvs off the 2002 axles but the other is still stuck. I'll get it eventually though. My questions could be answered by direct comparison of parts but I can't get to that until next week so I'm hoping you can answer some questions for me so I can formulate my plan now. Is there a difference mechanically and length wise between the 2002 halfshafts and the 81 320i halfshafts. The reason I ask is because the halfshafts on my 02 diff look like brand new vs. the 320i one's that look like shit. Can I use the 02 axles on the 320 diff? If so can I still go with the 320 inner cvs with the 02 outers and a spacer? I might end up buying new cvs anyway so is there a combination that will allow me to use the pristine 02 halfshafts if not the one mentioned above? Thanks again-Bob

Guest Anonymous

...per Gils earlier post- if I want to use the 02 half shafts, I can with the 81 LSD, but I need to use 02 outer CVs and 79 320i only, inner CVs with a 1/4 inch spacer. Am I correct?

Now another expert only question-Can I put the 81 320i diff. guts into the 02 differential housing?(why?-again, because the 320i equip is so rusty I would rather use my 30 year old western 02 hardware when possible)TIA

Guest Anonymous

Has any one taken the ring and pinion out of a long neck diff.and install in a ltd slip carrier out of a 320I?

Thank you!

Jack Fahuna