• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

will my engine be able to handle it? turbo.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am well on my way to doing a turbo conversion very similar to the one doug and Pat Allen have done. It is coming along quite nicely, but i am worried as to how the engine is going to hold up under the stress of the turbo. I reused the stock bottom end, which had 70 thousand miles and has never given me any problems. I rebuilt the head, got a new oil pump, and replaced all the seals. My question is, how will the engine stand up to 10 pounds of boost? will it be able to take it, or should i start building a new block right now? It will be making in the neighborhood of 200 horsepower. Thanks for any help, i hope i dont have to rebuild it soon! -Reid

Guest Anonymous

mine doesn't detonate/no pinging, so far the only thing I'm worried about is the head gasket...may have been rebuilt not to long ago...hopefully with the ringed type. But, car runs better than before...just used the equipment off the 2.3 ford and whalah...nothing to worry about timing wise...if it pings, run better gas or retard the dist a bit more.

Guest Anonymous

Everything below the pistons will be fine. The pistons will only be a problem if you have detonation problems. If you hear it pinging best back off asap and fix the problem. Also better use the fire-ring head gasket, the stock type might work if everything is close to perfect, not worth taking the chance. Ignition timing will need to be retarded under boost, I would recommend the MSD BMT device. Easy to hook up and worked great for me.

Guest Anonymous

Great to hear Doug, what's the link to your site, any new pics up? How much boost are you running? any 1/4 times yet?

Intercooler will make a big difference on the detonation factor.

Guest Anonymous

once it hits boost, goodbye rice rockets.

only probs were I had my distributor a lil loose to adjust timing and it popped out...ummm I kept breaking alternator mount bolts but fixed it by bending the bracketry with torch...umm...had some air bubbles in cooling system, I think they're gone...umm...turbo mount bolts shook loose, fixed that too, put on new exhaust seal. Thats about all I can think about besides the turbo heat melting some of my unprotected wires near it...

Guest Anonymous

The car has been running great...no 1/4 m. times yet, I will get a g tech from a friend soon.

its www.thedouginator.com this is the old site, new one is soon to come, with more movies, how-to's, pictures, diagrams, the whole deal. If people still have questions about how to turbo their car after this site, then I'll wonder what I missed.

http://movie.thedouginator.com is a quick stream of the car. I have some driving movies to put up sometime soon.

So, give the new site some time, no more geocities page builder junk...learning to use microsoft frontpage.

BTW 10 psi

Guest Anonymous

I have a new motor going in mine for the spring, all the things I wanted to do initially but am glad I waited to sort out the bugs first.