• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well....My car got totaled tonight.

PSloan

Guest Anonymous

Be careful about suing the guy now. You likely have an obligation under your auto insurance policy to report the accident to them. If they pay you money for the damage, the insurance company has the right (not you) to sue the guy, in your name (subrogation rights), to recover the money they paid you. You can jeopardize your own coverage by not following the obligations in your policy. This is especially important if this yahoo who hit you claims it was your fault (weirder things have happened). Sorry, boring legal crap. Also, many times soft tissue injuries don't manifest themselves until days after the accident. The value of your personal injury claim depends in great part on the number of visits to your doctor, and the extent to which you need and receive physical thereapy or other treatment. If you don't have the health care paper trail you won't get squat.

I have a raditor too .

got hit like that by a student in aborrowed car about 1987. twisted my back and shoulder PT for months but I stupid did get a lawyer. damn sure should have ....

tii touring in 75, on the Abahn in Europe 1975 to 1978, 74 Red Baron 1986( still with my kids)

Green culb racer and Malga Auto left the family

Left w/ a 1976 beater/5 sp/AC in 2004 not on the road yet & Its All I have left

Guest Anonymous

for the record - the frame is tweaked. where the fender meets the rocker theres like a 25 degree bend. I'm pretty sure it cant be done. I'm going to buy it back though and part it. She will live on in my 72. I was the only person in the car. How do i establish the value of the car though??

Good to hear you are ok. Amazing how a 30 year old car can hold up to getting hit by a large vehicle.

My .02

Please make sure you have access to good legal representation. With the way things are now, the other driver will try to weasel his/her way out of any responsibility.

I assume the police were involved based on the lights in the pictures? I really REALLY hope they were otherwise you don't stand a chance of getting much in the way of insurance money. You will be in the usual insurance game of getting $500 for your car, a few dollars for medical and be out much more time and money.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Matt Groener of Mathews auto sales will supply link asap can get you avalue and he is in town

KNOWN as

Mr Turbo

http://www.matthews-auto.com/PostNuke/index.php

tii touring in 75, on the Abahn in Europe 1975 to 1978, 74 Red Baron 1986( still with my kids)

Green culb racer and Malga Auto left the family

Left w/ a 1976 beater/5 sp/AC in 2004 not on the road yet & Its All I have left

Guest Anonymous

PAt.. Condolences. If you have followed the board , you know that on Nov. 5th, my 73tii was parked and destroyed by a drunk driver. The insurance BS is Such a hassle, but do yourself a few favors.

#1- Go get checked out by a doctor. I am a massage therapist and I have ssen my fair share of whiplash/soft tissue inujuries as as the result of untreated car accidents. Dont worry about the medical insurance part, his insurance will take care of it for you.

#2- Make yourself a folder for your car. Include the original price or bill of sale if you have one. Provide before and after pictures showing what your car was and what it is. Find and collect your own For sale ads in your area. Make sure that they are similar years, condition, and start with the ones closest to you.Go to bimmers.com, craigslist, e-bay, autotrader, roundel, etc and print off ads citing their web addresses and contact info. The job of the claims person is to give you as little money as possible. Protect yourself from this by doing your homework. They cannot argue too much if they know that you come prepared. MAke sure that you have somebody in your company working for you. My claim was quadrupled by helping the jackasses that appraised my car with a little of my own research. I also included a hefty letter, letting the bosses know that I wasnt going to rollover and let the insurance company try to f* me.

3# IF you feel like you are getting jerked around, hire a lawyer. You have a destroyed car and personal injury on your side. BY the end of the ordeal, you will wish that you got a few extra grand for all of the trouble and time that you have wasted in this accident.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. I am now an expert in drunkaholedestroyedmycar-ness. Take it easy and good luck.

David