• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My stroker-M20-02 project

-=Charley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more updates to the blog. almost finished with the downpipe. ill bleed the brakes and fill the diff. then it should be back on the ground for a while.

129_2952.jpg

129_2953.jpg

i cut, twisted and welded the msds downtubes w/a u-bend and some straight 1.75" tubing. i think it can be done without the u-bend though. i made the y-pipe using straight piping. the bend at the idler was the right angle, it just had to be rotated ~20 degrees and rewelded. not as hard a job as i thought it would be so im happy.

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

so.. it was driven for a little while, and i found some oil in the coolant and vice/versa. blew a head gasket and found out why after pulling the head. looks like a valve and piston kissed and probably lifted the head a bit. bought an adjustable cam sprocket and set the cam @ zero with a thicker head gasket. got the whole thing back together again, checked and double checked, plugged in the laptop to check the tune in the ECU and.. nothing. no lights, no camera, and definately no action. plugged the stimulator to the megasquirt and.. nothing. I pulled off the cover and felt around with the stim still plugged in and found a hot diode. Ordered a few components from digi-key, pretty much all the components that make up the power supply portion of the V3 board, and nothing still. very frustrating as I cant seem to find a complete schematic of the V3 PCB so I can do some decent troubleshooting. even got an exploding 9V battery in my lap from testing the thing. very frustrated but very much positive still. back to work..

132_3213.jpg

i'd hate to see what one of my Reedy NiMHs would do. sheeesh

thanks BLUNT. when are you gonna sell me that E30? what kind of gas mileage do you get from that thing? just wondering because I'm gonna need another project soon I think I need a daily driver next.

the cluster.. i cut apart the original cluster and riveted in a section of 14-ish gauge AL. VDO cockpit series gauges and some dummy lights. wiring was a bitch but it works :) speedo is digital as I had to run an electronic sender from the gear box.

129_2969.jpg

Wow... that is a sexy gauge cluster...

If you dont mind a little more info, how did you get a digital speedo to work with the gearbox? Or does your box have a provision for that? I have a 5-speed form an e30 waiting to go into may car, and i'd love to do a set-up like this...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

very nice charley. i have cut a cluster up a couple months ago to do the same thing but got stalled.

my e30 is for sale and ill gladly deliver it to you. i have too many cars and im either going to make it a dedicated race car or sell it. its just too pretty to go wheel to wheel though. if it had a shitty paint job or dings on it i wouldnt hesitate. buy it and give it a good home

edit, mileage is awesome if you keep your foot out of it. i averaged 26mpg on the highway all the way out to pennsylvania. if you are on it in town its a little more thirsty but really not that bad. the car needs nothing at all. it will kill e46 m3 cabrios and is dead even with e46m coupes

ooops it does too need something. it has a software issue. its running rich and should be putting down another 20-30hp. its either a chip issue or vanos not actuating. but it runs perfectly and i wouldnt have known i was down on power if i hadnt dyno'd it

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Wow... that is a sexy gauge cluster...

If you dont mind a little more info, how did you get a digital speedo to work with the gearbox? Or does your box have a provision for that? I have a 5-speed form an e30 waiting to go into may car, and i'd love to do a set-up like this...

i used an electronic sender from VDO that accepts a custom cable from the Getrag gearbox (e21 323i) looks sorta like this

340-011.jpg

North Hollywood Speedometer made me a short cable so I could just zip-tie the sender to the center bearing support. I'll take a pic and post as soon as I can. NHS is the biz.. I highly recommend them. they're the type of place you can call up with nothing -no information, and leave with a complete gauge cluster. and if you're wondering about the zipties, well, all I can say is you cant get'm over the counter and I cant talk about them. heheheh

BLUNT.. please email me :) cboy@operamail.com

• 1 month later...

holy f*ck this thing's fast! the funniest coincedence though.. i was accelerating ever so brutally down a back street in the neighborhood and in the opposite lane, there was two guys in an E36 M3 with their faces almost against the windsheild.. mouth agape! oh man, it was beautiful :)

IMG_0085.jpg

..and it's not overheating like b4. but still a little water in the oil. im wondering if i just have to do a few oil changes to work out any water thats still left in there.