• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My stroker-M20-02 project

-=Charley

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

well, the motor is back together and running after finding a crack in the head the hard way. had to change the oil a couple times to get all the milk out and now it's on to tuning and some smaller fab and wiring things i've been putting off til it was running well.

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

• 1 month later...

fixed tranny leak and learned an important lesson: you dont need millimeters when you pull a tranny from the bottom, you need INCHES. I didnt think i'd be pullin the tranny without the motor.. and that.. is why i fail. hehehe

got the tranny back in w/no leaks and didnt make it to bmrfst with the '02 but o well. A/C was nice. did get a chance to make it to cars & coffee though which was awesome. if you're in Socal, check it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

idle overheating solved with a few tricks. heater bypass.. bad idea. M20 cooling system bleeding.. not ez.

since the motor should be broken in by now, i finally bumped the rev limiter from 5k to 6.5k and wow.. i know i said it was fast before, but now it's just dumb. its no viper, but its just as fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

fast? relatively-absolutely. fun? ef-n eh. all this at a stinky, noisy cost that's worth it every time. if not for the M20 symphany, then for the re-appretiation for my E30's A/C. hahahaha

manifold was polished, then un-polished (w/scotchbrite) by me. and apparently we are in agreement to never fucking do it again. :)

update: the diff is so loud, conversations are impossible >45mph. the sound of the engine is intoxicatingly ticket producing. i hate the rear intrax springs. highway cruise tuning is spot on, but its so hot that its overheating at idle again. night time is fine. updates are minimal due to time w/car and budget cuts:(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...