• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reliable?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

There's a nice 73 2002 I'm looking at. But I have a few questions.

The condition of the car seems to be quite good and well taken care of.

I'm wondering if anyone uses their 2002 as a daily driver. How reliable are they?

Do I have to worry about driving in the rain? I know pretty much all old cars are prone to rust, but I would not want the car rusting apart from me driving it in the wet weather.

Thanks.

There's a nice 73 2002 I'm looking at. But I have a few questions.

The condition of the car seems to be quite good and well taken care of.

I'm wondering if anyone uses their 2002 as a daily driver. How reliable are they?

Do I have to worry about driving in the rain? I know pretty much all old cars are prone to rust, but I would not want the car rusting apart from me driving it in the wet weather.

Thanks.

Lots of folks do drive them daily .. i drove a $100 70 all summer. You have the usual problems that come up when driving a 30 year old car .. stuff does wear out, but if its mechancially sound it should be fine.

As for rust, the big killer is the east coast salt. Out west a little rain won't hurt but the salted roads pretty much eats em up

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. I'm in California.

It stated on the for sale sign (haven't called the owner yet) "rebuilt engine", although I don't know how long ago.

Are there any specific things I should be asking about the rebuild?

rain= no problem really.

daily driver? depends upon how much time you spend in traffic. the 02 is a great car, but some people rather sit in an isolation chamber with temperature control and a pure but sterile sound system whispering to them while they wait 45 minutes toget through the toll gate.

and actually the 02 hates this just as much as you do - and you will both be hot and uncomfortable for your trouble.

on the other hand, if you keep it up, the 02 will start and work everyday without complaint. my new 70 is a little finicky, but my old 76 never complained even in 10 degree new york weather..

'70 project

my bro means only the rare ones have AC (and only a few of those actually work)-- and ya they aren't as quiet as modern cars, but man.. when you zip in and out of traffic like a motorcycle and take the corners like a mofo all that kind of gets lost in the dust :)

hmm. actually the stock cooling system is not always up to it.. especially after 30 years. When you inspect the car check the radiator .. a lot of people retro-fit with later 320 radiators. If the car has been kept up thats probably fine, but if its still the same radiator from the 70s that might be an expense you'll face.. a few hundred bucks at the most for a new setup

Guest Anonymous
hmm. actually the stock cooling system is not always up to it.. especially after 30 years. When you inspect the car check the radiator .. a lot of people retro-fit with later 320 radiators. If the car has been kept up thats probably fine, but if its still the same radiator from the 70s that might be an expense you'll face.. a few hundred bucks at the most for a new setup

I see.

I also have a 914 so I know about fun handling cars :)

The person is asking $3500 for it. It has newer model looking BMW wheels on it, and lists it has new brakes and rotors, racing suspension and it has a custom style center single outlet Boxster looking exhaust.

What condition should a $3500 car be?

my 70 has a 320 radiator with an electric fan- seems to do the job. I never blew with my 76.. which was stock.., but it got pretty hot after an hour in traffic!!! if you plan to sit a long time in the hot cali sun, i would think about an upgrade.. the car will be ok, its just what you are used to I suppose///

as for 3500- id expect a car with no rust, and clean interior. maybe it will need a paint job in the near future, but everything should work well, and i think you should expect it does not overheat.

'70 project

I see.

I also have a 914 so I know about fun handling cars :)

The person is asking $3500 for it. It has newer model looking BMW wheels on it, and lists it has new brakes and rotors, racing suspension and it has a custom style center single outlet Boxster looking exhaust.

What condition should a $3500 car be?

Well the biggest factor that affects price is usually the paint and the body. If it is really rust free and looks good that is kind of the starting point. Check the spare tire well and the shock towers etc for signs of rust. If it is a sound body with good paint thats a sign of good things.

If you can get some pics and find out what exactly are the modifications a lot of people on here can give you a good idea of what its worth. If it drives nice and handles well and has a good interior, no rust and good paint.. $3500 sounds like probably a pretty good deal to me.

Its easy enough to find one for a grand that has one or two of those features but not all.

Its pretty late.. let the real 02 gurus throw some advice when they wake up and post some pics .. I"m no expert by any means.

Sounds like it could be a pretty good car though just from what you are saying

best of luck!

-z

the past 37 years..

1. Before buying one, take a friend who's knowledgeable about 2002s...there are a lotta "tricks to the trade" of what to look for in a good one or bad one.

2. They are not modern cars so don't expect silence, perfect A/C, electronic everything etc. But they're a lot more fun

3. Rust propinsity in CA is minimal; even less if you spend a couple of hours with some rustproofing compound--see knowledgeable friend above for where to rustproof

4. Cooling system can be upgraded easily with several different radiators that are bolt in or nearly so: E21, a 3 row core stock rad, etc.

5. If you like to tinker, 2002s are easy to work on; if you wanna learn how to tinker, an '02 is a great car to learn on. And lotsa help via this board.

I drove one daily, Ohio winters and summers from 1969 to 2000, and still drive 'em daily when the roads are dry and salt free. One has 218k and the drivetrain is all original except for a cyl head overhaul at 157k; the other's original engine is just being opened for the first time at 204k for an overhaul due to internal water leakage. Haven't stranded me yet.

If it's a good one, go for it. 73's are one of the best years to buy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mt tii has been a daily driver up until this winter and it has ~386,000 miles on it. Starting to show its age though. :( Second engine, third tranny, fourth pair of Bilstein shocks, etc., but still runs strong and agile. :) And I've owned it for over twenty years.

'73 2002tii #2763405 - gone to new owner for restoration :(

BMW CCA #19633

I paid $3500 for mine -- its best feature was lack of rust. Rust is a very big deal. Think of the cars you have seen for sale with loads of nice parts but a cancerous body. Then it's merely a donor for another project car. My car needed new struts, shocks and brakes. (& a center steering link!!) I have never been stranded anywhere with it. It was fun when my old exhaust manifold blew a chunk (where somebody had plugged a hole from the emission control crap that had been removed) -- the bang was very loud and the fumes inside the car were pretty foul. Put a tii exhaust manifold on it and I love the sound it makes -- very pleasing to the ear. Another thing, mine had been used too little & was very HAPPY to get used again. I remember blowing a nice cloud of smoke on one of my 1st aggressive drives and it seemed to run better after that tuneup.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz