• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tonights electrical gremlin challenge.

KFunk

I just got done hooking up a new stereo, and in the process I accidentally jammed my hazard switch so it wouldn't go back in. I took it apart, pushed in lever, still no fix. Plastic channels were worn down. I took it back apart, and couldn't salvage it. But instead, I still had the pieces of my old broken hazard switch sittin around. I used the actual center button from my old one, with better plastic channels, and it seemed to work OK.

I put it all back together, stereo works great. Go for a drive, and left turn signal works fine, but when I hit the right turn signal, the red hazard light flashes along with the turn signal. All signals outside the car working fine, just the right turn signal causes the hazard light switch to flash along with the turn signals. But I tried actually pressing the hazard button, and hazard lights don't flash.

So, any guesses? Thinkin I may say screw it and get another used hazard switch from a parts car tomorrow....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Don't know if it will help, but I know that there are some references to the flashers/hazard circuits in the FAQ section http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/category/3/23/32/

Check it out, if you haven't already done so.

Steve

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I will guess that you meshed an old style switch with a new style switch and as a result, you have a crossed connection inside the switch. As I am sure you know, you have now turn signals without the hazard switch. The worn out switch thing is very common. Here was my quick fix before I get a new one. Push button in, stick tooth picks around the edge, cover with clear two part apoxy and there you go. Once dry pull out or break off toothpicks.

finally, problem solved.

I found one in parts car, but it had already started to let go, so I didn't bother.

Decided I'd dig back into mine and risk more damage, and buy new if i had to. It turns out it was just a metal prong that had been catching when i put the case together. It was bent too much to make contact when hazard switch was all the way out. I'm not sure about the blinking of button itself thing, but somehow managed to solve that in process.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser