• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

some pics of golf tii

jpcapoc

You know, I really didn't get many looks on the way back. Especially from the BMW drivers. Seems like most of the folks that drive late model BMWs don't even have a clue regarding the heritage of what they're driving!

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

Are you bringing the 2800 to Santa Barbara? That's a sweet pic! I love those wheels!

I hope to make it in my '70, if I get the trans in by Friday. I'm waiting for my flywheel to be turned. Everything's ready to go, shouldn't take more than 4-6 hours unless I run into complications.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

Delia,

Great suggestions! I appreciate the comments. This is the kind of feedback I need so that I don't do anything stupid! I'm going to lay low, just drive it a bit and just make sure it's roadworthy. I does need some attention. As I said, the center bearing has to be replaced, the guibo already was (installed incorrectly, 4 bolts through the shaft fllange, guibo and trans flange with band still on, but maybe he did it this way to hold it rigid until the center bearing was replaced). The rubber trans mount is shot, so I've already taken that off. The shocks are leaking a bit also. But anyway, that's the plan, do as little as possible, at least for now.

I really don't even know how well it runs. It starts quickly, cold and warm, and sounds good. Can't wait to get it on the road, but I have to do something about the tires first. Actually, the tires are good enough for around town, but I don't want to get them on the open highway.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

**** hammer.gifhammer.gifIT'S BIMMERTIMEhammer.gifhammer.gif ****

bimmerfest_2006_banner.gif

event.png

........................... Click here to Link to FAQ Bimmerfest Thread ........................

I hope to make it in my '70, if I get the trans in by Friday. I'm waiting for my flywheel to be turned. Everything's ready to go, shouldn't take more than 4-6 hours unless I run into complications.

I hope you make it too, in whatever can get you here. I take back my earlier comment about bringing the golf tii, maybe we should not be running up the miles on it yet. By the way, does the odometer work? My odometer stopped at 9300 in the first year, and I know in thirty years I have driven a lot more than that, but didn't see any reason to fix it yet. It would be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get.

Hopefully see ya Saturday,

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Delia,

Great suggestions! I appreciate the comments. This is the kind of feedback I need so that I don't do anything stupid! I'm going to lay low, just drive it a bit and just make sure it's roadworthy. I does need some attention. As I said, the center bearing has to be replaced, the guibo already was (installed incorrectly, 4 bolts through the shaft fllange, guibo and trans flange with band still on, but maybe he did it this way to hold it rigid until the center bearing was replaced). The rubber trans mount is shot, so I've already taken that off. The shocks are leaking a bit also. But anyway, that's the plan, do as little as possible, at least for now.

I really don't even know how well it runs. It starts quickly, cold and warm, and sounds good. Can't wait to get it on the road, but I have to do something about the tires first. Actually, the tires are good enough for around town, but I don't want to get them on the open highway.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

according to the "3" on the tag (Knox County was/is 3rd most populace county in TN). Did it come from Grayson's AMC/Jeep/BMW?

John,

I don't know where it was purchased. The address of the original owner was Knoxville, 37919. There's no other relevant information on the title. I just sent an email to the guy I bought it from asking for his assistance in contacting the original owner. If I get a chance to talk to her, then I'll ask where she bought it.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

Amazing! I think it's Cooker Or Coorker tire that has those XAS tires if you want to get the original. http://www.coker.com/store/customer/home.php

Looks great.

How about putting some fender flares and a huge stereo in it? And you might as well get rid of that old fuel injection at the same time. :)

John

Harv, that's awesome! Coker does have those tires. $146 each! Damn. What the heck have I got myself into? That's $584 plus another hundred to mount them! I gotta think about this, but I probably should just do the right thing and buy them. I guess the proper logic is if I can't afford to treat the car properly, I shouldn't have bought it.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

BTW, those 13" XASs from Coker need tubes!

That's why I suggested some "roll around" wheels/tires.

Don't go too far/fast on those original 32 year old tires. A blowout could write off your investment...and you, too!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

BTW, those 13" XASs from Coker need tubes!

That's why I suggested some "roll around" wheels/tires.

Don't go too far/fast on those original 32 year old tires. A blowout could write off your investment...and you, too!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Get some period 13" rims and run 185/70s.

Dump the leaky shocks and put in Bilstein HDs (factory option), get the driveline straightened out and change all the fluids to synthetic. Check belts and hoses for cracking, change the brakefluid and you should be good to go and enjoy the drive.

Keep the original wheels/tires for car shows.

Just my '02c.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Get some period 13" rims and run 185/70s.

Dump the leaky shocks and put in Bilstein HDs (factory option), get the driveline straightened out and change all the fluids to synthetic. Check belts and hoses for cracking, change the brakefluid and you should be good to go and enjoy the drive.

Keep the original wheels/tires for car shows.

Just my '02c.

I just put 4 Bridgestone Potenza 910 185/70/13s on my car under $220 out the door from Costco. the only catch is, that Costco is closing out all their Bridgestones and they will not restock them. they are discounting $60 if you by 4 at a time, which accounts for the good deal. I have been using that size since I replaced the original XAS tires.

Just my '02cents worth

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours