• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little research turns up cool stuff!

danjrusdug

2 years ago I purchased a 73tii from a guy in Pensacola that was tired of putting $$$ into the car and sold it cheap when the engine died.

I had the engine rebuilt and all is well. I got the car I REALLY wanted and am going to sell the Ceylon in the next week or two.

Anyway, in all the paperwork (over $7k in work done) that came with the tii, I found a bill of sale from the PPO (previous previous owner). I did an internet search and found him. I've toyed with calling him for about a year and finally did it yesterday.

The guy is a BMW enthusiast with many cars. After talking, he said that he could send me all of his receipts for the car, the original manual, another set of keys, and contact information for the PPPO. WAY COOL!

I thought about doing the same for the Ceylon years ago and never did it. I think I'll do it now before I sell it as I know the next owner would love this type of information.

Cheers,

Doug

'73tii Atlantik

'72 Ceylon

post-495-136675638086_thumb.jpg

It's that "cult car" thing.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, cooler than contacting the PPO, PPPO or even the original owner of a 2002.

My '74 Amazonasgrun just showed up again from a contact on this board. I bought this car new, and there is no greater thrill after 3 decades to find out it's a "survivor" -- on the road and making someone happy.

Similarly, I contacted the PPPO of my '73tii (a 2002 racer from Albuquerque), who still has a soft spot in his heart for my "Orange Julius" '73tii. The engine rebuild he performed is still going strong. Well, OK, not *quite* as strong...

I also contact the original owner from Little Rock. He was more than surprised and pleased it was still on the road. So, after I sent him some digital pics of "his car, " we had great conversation about it, how he bought it and what happened to it after he sold it.

BTW, he and his then girlfriend, now wife, went on their first date in that car in 1973.

You just never know how significant a car can be to a previous owner.

Delia and "Orange Julius"

'73tii

Inka

Original Owner of:

'74 2002

Amazonasgrun

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

It is always enjoyable to find out about your car's "heritage", like going back to rebuild your family tree.

My tii came with some history, including being featured ini the March 1981 Road & Track magazine. From there I got the name of the original owner. I did a google search and his firm's name (he is an attorney) was the first one on the list. I emailed him and so far have been able to trace the car's ownership except for the third owner.

The first and second owners were able to confirm the condition of the body and gave me details on an engine and tranny rebuild over the years. No 2nd gear grinding!

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

Victor,

That pic was taken in the fall. Those leaves are long gone. I usually do a ground burn in the spring as that takes care of the majority of ticks.

I still haven't taken pics of the interior as I still have one door panel to put on and some door handles. I should have the time this weekend as the 'honey-do' (pre-wedding) list has been getting whittled away with every free moment I have. I'll get them to you soon.

Doug

It's that "cult car" thing.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, cooler than contacting the PPO, PPPO or even the original owner of a 2002.

You're right, a close second is taking a trip to north carolina in my car (to find out that I was the third owner) And dropping by the BMW dealership. A guy there knew the car! Turns out he sold it to a family friend and it got serviced there until 1988 when it was sold to my PO. :)

Hah. I had remnants of a dealership sticker in the rear window, and I didn't realize what dealership.

My current 02 has a good PO pedigree though, so i'll leave it at that :D

I got to meet the previous (& original) owner of my car. We had a good chat and I brought pictures. I sent them off a card around the holidays with another 'action' shot of the car. The 02 was a part of their lives for 30 years. They were very pleased to know that she was going to another enthusiasts home.

It's sort of the same when you build a car and send it off into the world. My flared fendered 02 is rumoured to be residing somewhere in Michigan. I made sure most of the history went with the car. I just hope the next two owners did the same.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I had a very long talk with the original owner of my car, but the conversation ended when my wife told me to stop talking to myself.......I know the history of every dent and ding in the car, many of them my own fault. Served me well ever since I drove it off the showroom floor. The dealer is gone, but we just keep on tickin'.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

In 1997 I saw a similar name in an AF publication and just for fun called him...same guy (now a Col) who was amazed that (1) I still had the car and (2) remembered him.

Then I told him I had been saving a gold charm I found under the back seat a few years after buying the car...figured it was his wife's--and it was. She was really pleased to get it back, as it was a gift for serving as a friend's bridesmaid--in 1975!

Oh--and he gave me all the receipts and the original window sticker when I bought the car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Doug,

His name is John Webb.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com