• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

daily driven 2002 insurance question

imminent

How many of you have insurance other than collector car insurance?

I am looking at buying a 2002 this weekend but it will be a daily driver so I won't be able to insure it as a collector car. Progressive.com gave me a quote of $745/6 months?!?! Are they crazy?

Josh

Depends on your age, marital status, driving record, number of cars insured on your policy, distance to work, area of the country -- and the fact that they probably view the 2002 about a tick above a go-cart on the safety scale. No airbags, ABS, Blah Blah = you are “more likely” to become road hamburger if you are involved in a serious crash. The more risk you are to them, the more it’s gonna cost ya…..

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

too. I currently insure 4 vehicles with AAA for two adult drivers in Sacramento CA- not the cheapest place in the world, but not as bad as, say, San Francisco.

Current premium is about $2700/year for $1000 deductable full coverage on my '69 '02 and my wife's '90 325i cabro, comp, fire & theft only (no collision) on my '65 ElCamino and '82 320i.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I'm on a collector policy now, but for a few years I had my '76 on a regular policy, $10k agreed value, unlimited miles, comp/coll/etc with a $500 deductible, for about $500 a year. I was in my late 20s and also had my wife's car and my other 2002 on the policy.

Tim L.
Ex-1975, 1976, 1976 BMW 2002s

I live in LA... recently bought a '74 02 as a second car. My other car is a '99 Jeep. Now, I can't make any sense out of this, but adding a second car to my insurace actually REDUCED my overall rate. It didn't matter which car was specified as primary, my rate went down either way. Not that I'm complaining, but insurance pricing structures aren't too logical.

This anecdote probably doesn't help... oh well. :)

1974 - Weber 32/36

uhhh, something is seriously wrong with that quote, or you've got a horrible record.

I'm 24, and I use progressive for my daily driver 02, and it costs $200/6 months. I've got a whole lot of previous speeding tickets and such, but luckily only one or two within their three-year window, as well as a claim for $1K when i hit a deer with my miata.

There may be variations in prices per state, but I couldn't see that big of a diff. Plus, Hawaiis roads are horrible and its a free for all with some very dumb drivers, so i cant see how itd be much cheaper here.

The only problem I'v had with progressive is that their computers don't recognize my VIN, so they kept telling me the VIN was for a motorcycle. Finally got someone to override the computer.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

also, is there a difference in cost between big bumper and small bumper cars? I have a 74, and a small wreck is probably gonna be much easier on the car than for a small bumper car. However, I only have decent liability insurance, so damage to my own car shouldn't matter.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

comments. Rikers, two cars with multi-car discount, one car not having comprehensive and collision, in many cases is cheaper than one car alone. Kfunk, hitting a deer (or any wild animal) is covered under comprehensive, not collision, so it's not an accident on your record. Hit a dog it's an accident, hit a coyote it's not, so remember that if it runs away. Hawaii's roads might be crummy, but you can't rack-up 20k miles a year there too easily like you can here in L.A. Also kfunk, big bumpers cost more to replace than sheetmetal. The insurance companies charge MORE if you have airbags, because airbags cost money to replace, just like fixing an abs that is damaged cost more than a non-abs car. It's not how safe these things like BB make your car, but how much it costs to fix things after an accident. Many cars are totalled these days just because the airbags deployed, as it's about 2500 bucks per bag for replacment. So your 5k car is totalled if the bags deploy even if there was no damage to the car itself. Multi-policy discounts can give a big break, and in L.A. many times the cost of condo or renter insurance is totally offset by the discount for having the cars too, the 10 or 15% MP discount on the cars can be substantial.

One thing, each and every insured's case is different than the next guy, so you just cannot compare someone else's rates with yours in any meaningful manner and many people lie about things like their garaging address, and maybe they get away with it for years until they buy a new car as the dealer and financing will have the real address. That's why I always want a copy of the bill of sale or lease agreement when someone gets a new car. Your check address, DL address and reg address all better be the same or you're going to have to prove you live where you say with copies of utility bills in your name at your stated address of garaging. We all pay for insurance fraud.