• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kids car seats

local

Hey all,

Quick question. Anyone have a good (ie: safe) solution for installing car seats in an 02? I have a 73 with inertial reel lap belts in the back that just don't reel in tightly enough to keep the car seat from moving around alot, especially in corners (normal everyday driving, nothing 'racey'.....). Anyone have thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Adam Carr

the package shelf to hold the seat in place (PO had little ones). If you decide to go this way, I'll trade you my pre-drilled package shelf cover for yours--I may even have the tether bracket around somewhere...

The package shelf steel is plenty strong (esp if you use a couple of fender washers) to properly hold the child seat at the top.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The rear belts are just long enough so you can put the kiddie seat in the center (the safest place from side impacts) and cross both belts over the middle and really nail it down. You'll have to kneel in the child seat to make the stretch. Works in our '74 and '71 02s.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Another option I use in my '73. There is a $20 product that is placed inline on the seabelt and ratchets it tighter independent of the reel mechanism on the car. It's called the "Latch" or something, when I get home I can look. It really helps and allows flexibility in installation (not that the center isn't the way to go, I agree it's the safest). I bought it at Target.

Shoot me an email to remind me, I will be home this weekend.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Good tips, guys. I've just been kneeling on the car seat and feeding as much of the slack as I can back into the inertia reel, and then yanking on it to lock it. There's enough tension in the seat springs to keep it locked in place without much movement, but it sounds like there maight be some better options!

My 14 mo-old daughter LOVES to ride in the '02 with the roof and windows open, and the back windows popped out. I'd hate to deprive her of the experience ;-)

JJ

'76 Sahara

Ireland/TEP/Bilstein suspension mods

Currently for sale

-------------------

in the end she will surely know... i wasn't born to follow

Mighty-Tite - Car Seat Belt Tightener

Price: $14.99 - $19.99

Description from Babies"R"Us: Even though you've properly installed your child's car seat, there still can be excess belt slack causing the seat to shift side-to-side or back to front. The Mighty-Tite Seat Belt Tightener attaches to all car seat belts, eliminating slack and holding th Carseat.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B000056JHP//103-9349995-9906202

--> 1968 2002 <--