• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake lights not working...'76 2002

bmw1976

I had a similar problem a short while back. It was, indeed, the brake light switch. the switch is on the back of the brake booster mount. However, I would recommend using a real BMW part. My first attempt with a generic brake light switch just made the problem intermittent and prolonged the agony of searching out the problem.

By the way, it is a snap to put a new switch in, literaly it takes 5 minutes, if even that long.

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

I'm replacing the brake light switch on both my cars. Right above the brake booster is a two-wire switch and it has a plunger on it. It is spring loaded. When you push on the brake pedal the arm which rests on the plunger moves toward the front of the car allowing the spring to push the plunger out and close the switch, which in turn allows juice to the brake lights. The brake light switch is a +/- $10 part. It may test out good with your meter, but I found that it hangs up intermitently.

Just another tip, it's easiest to change the switch if you put a rod/stick/dowel between the driver's seat and a depressed brake pedal; hence, taking the brake mechanism off the switch plunger.

Simon

• Thanks 1

1974 Sahara '02, DD

I'm replacing the brake light switch on both my cars. Right above the brake booster is a two-wire switch and it has a plunger on it. It is spring loaded. When you push on the brake pedal the arm which rests on the plunger moves toward the front of the car allowing the spring to push the plunger out and close the switch, which in turn allows juice to the brake lights. The brake light switch is a +/- $10 part. It may test out good with your meter, but I found that it hangs up intermitently.

Same issue with mine replaced it with a dealer part was 13 dollars after taxes I think. Worked right ever since

Peace

Mine too... brake light switch... after I did that, I messed with the tabs on one side tail lights as one of them wasnt lighting up for brakes...

The tabs can get corroded and loose pressure for the light bulbs... these are the tabs that the light bulbs push against when installed. If after changing brake light switch, no brake lights still, try cleanin the tabs that the brake light bulb goes to with a fine sand paper a little and make sure it is pressing against bulb fairly firmly when bulb is insstalled. If bulb is not pressing tab well, try carefull pushing the tab in towards the tail light unti some...

This made my light work on the one side as it didnt have good pressure to the bulb...

Oh by the way, mine is an early 1970 2002, so round tail lights...Not sure how the square lights tabs are...

I bet it is just the brake light switch though :)

Good Luck, Pony Boy

Lance Jones... my name

1970 BMW 2002 ...my car

www.myspace.com/lancejonesmusic ....my music