• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Totalled, restarting a new project...

In 1976, my father purchased this 2002i directly from BMW. This was the first car he was able to purchas with the money from his own pocket and for 30 years and counting, he has kept this beauty, refusing to sell it. My name is Alex Wong, I am 17 and have an enormous amount of respect for this car. To prove to my father that I am ready to take this car into my own personal care, I am going to sell my 240sx and being turning this icon into a machine my father wanted it to become, but was never able to finish (because I was born).

As of now, there has been no restoration done to this car, only minor mods my father did himself.

NEW004.jpg

NEW048.jpg

NEW095.jpg

The license plate says Wonka1 because my Dad's name is William "Willy"

Let me know what you guys think and I am open to any suggestions you have on this project. I'll keep in touch!

Driving, to me, is proof that I am alive.

untitled.jpg

Just picked up this nice set of wheels for the car, (tires rub a little much, blown bilsteins though). Thinking doing suspension or Turbo flares first to get rid of this problem. Any opinions guys?

Epsilon 3pc.

15x7 ET+12

Dunlop FM901

195/50/15

7.jpg

5.jpg

untitled.jpg

Looks great!

I like both sets of wheels on it. It really has a nice stance to it now. With the flares, im not a huuuge fan of turbo flares but can live with them. IMHO i believe that Alpina lip flares (produced by dapbmw on this board) would look much better and should solve your rubbing issues (someone please correct me if im wrong) but to each their own and if you like turbo flares then by all means, go for them :-)

Anyway, good luck with it!

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Keep it alive...

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Congrats on a beautiful car, Alex! It's great that a new generation of '02 enthusiasts on this board are committed to keeping these little boxy cars alive and looking good.

Both sets of wheels look great, but you have to remember that the et12 wheels will put additional strain on your wheel bearings.

What were your Dad's ultimate plans for the car back when he got it? It would be nice to do it like he wanted it.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Congrats on a beautiful car, Alex! It's great that a new generation of '02 enthusiasts on this board are committed to keeping these little boxy cars alive and looking good.

Both sets of wheels look great, but you have to remember that the et12 wheels will put additional strain on your wheel bearings.

What were your Dad's ultimate plans for the car back when he got it? It would be nice to do it like he wanted it.

He always wanted dish wheels on the car, but he wanted them to be gold, but once I showed him the wheels, I offered to paint them gold like the wheels he put on there, but he actually like the black on black look. His new toy, a 350z is black on black wheels with a polished lip hehe. I have a pretty good idea of what his plans were, he used to go on and on about what he wanted to do when i was younger even though i only had the slightest idea of what he was talking about.

untitled.jpg

looks like the fender lips already have a bit of work done to them, slightly rolled out. Have any close up pics?

Nice looking 02. I have always thought about doing a black 02, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the immense amount of block sanding :)

Matt

looks like the fender lips already have a bit of work done to them, slightly rolled out. Have any close up pics?

Nice looking 02. I have always thought about doing a black 02, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the immense amount of block sanding :)

Matt

Yeah my Dad rolled them out a long time ago to fit the gold wheels.

The wheels are Epsilons, I picked them up from a guy who got his E21 totalled and stored the wheels for over 20 years. I havent done any polishing or refurbishing to these wheels yet, not until its needed.

untitled.jpg

I agree, the black and chromw wheels are hot! Maybe you can replace the shocks and put a thicker spacer in to stop rubbing... Mine is lowered a lot, and rubs a little on hard turning, but thats fine as I hardly ever turn completely...

Beautiful car :) I like the old roundies with chrome grills more, and I would also say no to turbo flares, but man those wheels give that ride a nice look, I would drive that!

I was born in 76, so I guessI should have 1 lol, but I love my 1970... vintage look...

Make sure to post pics as you do more, lovin it :)

Regards, Pony boy

www.myspace.com/cherrylanemusic ....my band

Lance Jones... my name

1970 BMW 2002 ...my car

www.myspace.com/lancejonesmusic ....my music

Well my dad likes both the turbo flares and alpina flares. The car already had the fenders flared out a little bit years ago but they cracked in the front. Im still determining whether to go with the turbo flares or the alpina lip flares...hmmm

untitled.jpg

Hey you guys, got a question, Im going to run a coilovers in the front and strut/spring combo in the rear. My desired spring rates are 6kg/mm at 8" length, but should I run Koni or Bilstein sport shocks? Anyone know the strength of dampening? I know the Koni's are adjustable, what about the Bilstein sports?

untitled.jpg