• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto shipping to West Coast.

Delia

Orange Julius and I are moving to the West Coast (from Michigan) and have been checking out the enclosed transporters like Horseless Carriage, etc.

So far the cheapest will set me back about $1500 or so. That's from Thomas C. Sunday, Inc.

Anyone got a better idea?

(No I don't want to drive solo 2,300 miles.)

:)

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Dependable Auto Shippers....Last year from LA to Ind--about $1100 for an enclosed transport—Terminal to Terminal. Door to Door is a few hundred more. Honestly, I should have sprung for door to door—at least then you wouldn’t have to see the “terminal” which is usually a towing yard with lots of mud and large breed dogs with attitudes. DAS said they will only do enclosed w/ wheel straps due to difficulty chaining 2002s down properly—makes sense I guess. Gas prices were post Katrina, so I’m sure the rates are about the same now as they were then. The GPS tracking feature is nice, but plan to let it sit OUTSIDE in the weather at the aforementioned junkyard for up to two weeks before it hits the transporter. After that, it will be across the country in 18 hours….no joke. Very nerve-wracking experience, but I didn’t personally have any problems.

Good luck ----I’ll FedEx you some snow in a cooler if you're feelin' lonely next winter.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

and put the rest of the stuff on a moving truck. its funner that way.

happy trails

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Delia,

In January I used Specialty Mobile Systems out of Ohio.They treated my 72 Inka tii with care and their communication was frequent.The driver was very careful,gave me his cell number and called with constant updates.Additionaly they worked within the agreed time frame.They were not the cheapest but well within range.Door to door was $1750,San Francisco to downtown Washington D.C.We even did a quick early A.M.gorrilla off-load behind a VW dealership to look kosher...........

1-800-789-5250.

jgmgti

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

A timely move. Just before a local O-fest. Buy a copy of Hemmings. They have about a bazillion transporters. So where are you moving and what are you going to be doing...If I may humbly ask. You do realize that you will be forced to drive your car year round. It's not to late to reconsider.

So where are you moving and what are you going to be doing...If I may humbly ask. You do realize that you will be forced to drive your car year round. It's not to late to reconsider.

Jack,

I've no specific plans...imagine that!

To be honest, after I graduated from college in 2003, I expected to get a good job and see where that led me. Having not gotten a job from a distance, except for teaching, I decided to *choose* where I wanted to live, and *then* get a job.

I love my 2002, good roads, warm weather and creative people. I have far more friends in California than anywhere else.

The Bay Area seems to be the logical choice.

As a designer since the 60s, my creative experiences in exhibit design, industrial design, furniture design, retail planning and graphic design, combined with my recent BFA have made me nearly unemployable by traditional standards, but I remain hopeful. I've been looking for fulltime work, but it seems far more likely I will be a freelance designer or consultant.

Then there's my website:

www.oldschoolbmw.com

I'm putting together a store for that page, so stay tuned...

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Where in Michigan are you from? I'm a michigan native, still have lots of relatives and I manage to visit every coupla years.

If you haven't driven cross-country, give it a try! I've made the drive several times. I love it! But you do need to take your time!

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

Hi Delia. I live in Palo Alto (the Bay Area) and will be at a wedding in Ann Arbor on the 20th of May. I was going to drive my 02 across the country and back, but my engine rebuild has gone a little slower than expected. I buckled and bought a plane ticket, but would still like to drive an 02 across the country (even if it's not mine...).

I could drive it from Michigan to the Bay Area if you have somewhere for me to leave it.