• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 tii fuel sending unit question

jpcapoc

I think I need a new fuel sending unit. Mine reads full all the time. Could be because the car was stored for 30 years. I haven't pulled it out yet, just looking for suggestions. Are these repairable or should I just buy one?

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

I am no expert, but check the wiring at the sending unit. It may be shorted or grounded. Nevertheless, I think that they are pretty easy to change out.

you must have thought you were getting great mileage.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Hey John, I can almost guarantee I know the problem! I had this with my 1969 1600 a while back. I replaced the sending unit twice!

Tehe wire that goes on the gauge pod is usually the problem per Leif(yes "spelt" like that lol) who used to work for 2002 A.D. He told me to clean the screw that attaches the fuel gauge and maybe run an extra wire from it to the firewall as this often looses its ground after years, causing the fuel gauge to read full or be erratic....

I bet thats it :)

Thanx for the "heads" up today John

, Lance

Lance Jones... my name

1970 BMW 2002 ...my car

www.myspace.com/lancejonesmusic ....my music

Well, almost correct. If you take out the sender, hold it over a couple paper towels until all the gas drains out. The turn it upside down and listen. You should hear the float sliding inside it. Turn it right side up and the float should fall to the bottom. Have someone sit in the car with the key in ON position but not started. Connect the wires on the sender outside of the tank and right side up it should read empty. flip it upside down and gauge should read full. Let me know what happens.

Well, almost correct. If you take out the sender, hold it over a couple paper towels until all the gas drains out. The turn it upside down and listen. You should hear the float sliding inside it. Turn it right side up and the float should fall to the bottom. Have someone sit in the car with the key in ON position but not started. Connect the wires on the sender outside of the tank and right side up it should read empty. flip it upside down and gauge should read full. Let me know what happens.

Sounds easy! I'll give this a try tonight. My guess is that it's stuck, because the PO said the gas was like muck after sitting 30 years. I suspect that he didn't even attempt to clean the sender.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

Hey John, I can almost guarantee I know the problem! I had this with my 1969 1600 a while back. I replaced the sending unit twice!

Tehe wire that goes on the gauge pod is usually the problem per Leif(yes "spelt" like that lol) who used to work for 2002 A.D. He told me to clean the screw that attaches the fuel gauge and maybe run an extra wire from it to the firewall as this often looses its ground after years, causing the fuel gauge to read full or be erratic....

I bet thats it :)

Thanx for the "heads" up today John

, Lance

Pony, I had the same problem with the same fix in my '70. I suspect in this case the sender is stuck.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona