• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did anyone need hubcentric rings after brake conversion?

I have a 72 tii and I did the vented front brake conversion using the 320i hubs. Now I have to center my wheels with the lug nuts instead of the hub. Looks like the 320i hub is smaller. Anyone have this problem and if so, what size hubcentric rings did you need? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

If I recall correctly, BMWs are not hubcentric and have always used the lugnuts.bolts to center the wheels.

buy yourself a set of hub converter studs and some locktite and go back to what you are used to doing.

Guest Anonymous

If I recall correctly, BMWs are not hubcentric and have always used the lugnuts.bolts to center the wheels.

buy yourself a set of hub converter studs and some locktite and go back to what you are used to doing.

Older BMWs were not hubcentric. But starting in the mid seventies (3, 5 and 6 series) they were. It is easier to install wheels on a hub with studs.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Later Bimmers are indeed hubcentric and shake like heck if you try to use the bolts to center. I have the TSW Hockenheim wheels from an e30 7.5 x 16. They fit snug on the 2002 hub but not now, rears still fit snug. I am not using studs but lug bolts in the front. Could this be part of / all my problem? Thanks for the responses.

The hub is a rough casting. The wheel center hole needs to be big enough to clear the hub; no precision is needed or useful. I don't know about the E21 320i, but I assume it's the same as a 2002 in that regard.

I think newer BMW models are sensitive to wheel centering because their front suspensions are different, mainly in being lighter.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

E21 hubs have a 57.1mm flange to center the wheels. Remember lug nuts/bolts are NOT designed to carry ANY load and should never be used as a means to center the wheel. That's the hubs job. The lug bolts/nuts are designed to just secure the wheel to the hub assembly and should not be subjected to side loading. I'd get a hold of a TSW distributor and get the 57.1mm rings for the Hock R's.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I'm also running 16x7.5 Hockenhiems-Rs on my 02. I've done both front and rear 'big grake' conversions, so I have studs on both ends. No problem with wheel fitment/shaking - so maybe your front bolts arrangement is part of the problem. (But there's also lots of other reasons you could have wheel shake...)

HTH!

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I'm not using bolts, my hubs now have studs (F&R), and I'm using lug nuts as recommended for the wheels. Nothing fancy as they're hidden, as you know. (And I am using the TSW hubcentric adapter rings).

Sorry I've been away and haven't replied sooner...

Tom L

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com