• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After 30 years, finally got to see 9354 mi. on odometer.

Speedometer always worked but Odometer stopped at 9353 mi., 30 years ago. Never saw any reason to fix it. Felt ambitious tonight and took the speedo apart and fixed the odometer. Very excited to see it turning again. Now I can figure out how far my $3.40 per Gal. regular will take me.

Really easy fix. I am alway amazed how simple these cars are. You can pop those gauges out in about 2 minutes, and have the speedo dismantled in a couple more. Cleaned everything up while I had it apart.

Now I will know how far Palo Alto is from Santa Barbara next week.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I've had that problem too. My counter only seems to work sometimes and then gets stuck when it wants to turn to 10. Looks like 009.9. I took the instrument cluster out and used the old WD-40 on the gears but alas, no luck. I'll give dismantalling it a whirl when I get some time on my hands. Glad to see you got it running again!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

roll over from 99 to 100. I discovered if I backed the car up about 20 feet, it was good for another hundred miles! I suspect there was a burr or something on the 10's gear that was causing the mechanism to jam.

I had a spare speedo so I swapped it out, but still have the old one. One of these days I'll dismantle it and see if I can figure out the problem. I'll post what I find.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

well, your post is very timely. my odometer was working fine until i tried to adjust the trip-meter this afternoon. BIG mistake. now neither my odometer nor trip meter works. must have been balancing by a thread all these years. it's coming out tonight cuz i depend on it to let me know when to change oil. i hope i have the same success.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

after some preliminary disassembly, I tapped out the rearmost screwgear, it has a little ball in the body of the speedo holding it in. Cleaned up the nylon gear that was inside the speedo. It was a little stripped looking, but just redefined the cogs. Reassembled everthing, and then it worked again..

Good luck,

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

SUCCESS. at least for now. didn't really do much more than fidget with the cogs alittle with my screwdriver. didn't know what i was doing but it seemed to work. am really reluctant to take all that stuff apart.

what i did was the equivalent of smacking the television on the side to clear up the reception (for those who remember TV w/o cable).

i took the opportunity to swap the genuine, authentic, simulated 'look of real wood' console for an earlier black one and replaced the one burnt bulb by the fuel guage. a test drive confirmed it all works again!

only thing i noticed, after the fact is that the cross hairs on the guages look alittle out of alignment. i hope that doesn't affect the performance of the car...

now, if only i could muster a car wash and wax before next saturday, nahhh

back to stripping paint on my '71.....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

You mean you've had the "LOWEST MILES" 2002 all these years?!?!

;-]

See ya at Palo Alto!

Yeah, shoulda put it on E-bay while I had the chance.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

only thing i noticed, after the fact is that the cross hairs on the guages look alittle out of alignment. i hope that doesn't affect the performance of the car.......

Mine did the same, just off enough to make you wonder. I think it is just some "slop" in the mounting screws. Didn't feel like taking it apart again.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

Now about a 100 years ago Curt Ingraham (of alloy 02 radiator fame - who I noticed the other day has posted on this forum (Curt - hope you're well)) posted on the old Chris Kent 2002list the most fantastic detailed instruction on how to repair the failed 2002 odo.

Having followed the instructions and and fixed my own ODO that had gone AWOL some 10 years years earlier - I immediately elevated Curt to official "02 legend" status.

I also had the intermitent odo problem for quite a while before it failed. Only I wasn't too smart and went chasing a fuel economy problem. I couldn;t figure out why I was only getting half the Kms I should out of a tank of gas...... doh!

I went searching my own archives and couldn't find the original instruction unfortunately. It was many years ago now so the detail is a little fuzzy - but the gist of the problem is that one of the little nylon gears on the end of the main shaft of the odo loses its grip on the shaft. You see the nylon gear is just a press fit on the end of the steel shaft - and over time the nylon shrinks marginally and loses its grip on the shaft. This can be fixed by carefully placing a drop of super glue on the shaft. I recall having to do this with the gear in place on the shaft. Been fine for the last 7 or 8 years.

Mac

74 Tii - daily drive for 26 years.