• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for the PERFECT cupholder

Grover

Okay, go ahead, call me a yuppy or whatever. The reality is, given that my '02 is a daily driver, it's not rare for me to stop for a cup of coffee en route somewhere. And, after wearing my coffee in my lap a couple of times, it felt like I needed to do something better. So, since I was making a new console faceplate to fit some auxiliarry gauges, I figured I'd try to integrate a cup holder. The attached photo is the prototype I made using the innards of a WRX cupholder. Functionally it works great, but aesthectically I'm trying to find one that is narrower and therefore could fit between the hazard light and the dummy greeen do-nothing button. Basically, I'd like it to look less out of place and more "stock". In other words, a retractable cupholder assembly that fits in a space about the same width as the ashtray. So, for those of you who have cars other than a 2002, and happen to have an in-dash cupholder, please tell me what make and model if you think you have something that may work. Thanks a bunch.

post-982-13667564516284_thumb.jpg

Just thinking here - it seems you might be able to actually convert an ashtray into a cupholder? It would look so stock and period correct!

Nice job!

Andrew

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

I think that the cup-holder looks Really good. But I'm sorry; You're worried about stock appearance, with that shift knob? I think that I'd keep the cup holder, but I'd re-consider the shift knob. The Do Nothing green button is for the ejector seat on sunroof models only...

Grover,

This "best cupholder" was discussed to death a while back.

I proposed the best "cup holder" was a redhead in the passenger seat.

:^)

WAAAAHHHHWAAAAHHHHWAHHHHHHH!

See you Saturday!

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Here's a suggestion,Griots catalogue.They have a folding cup holder for $16.95.You can mount it anywhere.I mounted mine to the passenger side of the console with some hook and loop and it serves it purpose.I added an old roundel and now its an OOOficial BMW part??

jgmgti

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Can't you just find a proper travel mug and wedge it between the emergency brake and the passenager seat? Its work well for me for just about 14 years now.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

Can't you just find a proper travel mug and wedge it between the emergency brake and the passenager seat? Its work well for me for just about 14 years now.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

Works for me for 30 years. Emergency brake doesn't work anyway. Now it can serve some purpose.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

this one from bavauto looked tempting.. bit spendy though

Part # : BMW FLAT BURL $ 59.95 ea.

Mounts flush on passenger side of console

Yours is cooler.. like the one in my toyota. My buddy had a toyota with AC that would blow right on the cup .. and for coffee in winter the heater shoots out there too.

I like this one though

BMW_FLAT_BURL.gif

they even open or close the sipping lid for you! me? i only use the cardboard mutiple drink trays that they give out in fast food places and wedge it on the center console, that is if you don't have gauges mounted in it.