• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended Restoration Shops

dirk2602

I have decided to have my '73 2002tii completely restored. I have neither the skills nor the time or patience to undertake such a project myself and am trying to make a choise between (1) a local BMW repair shop combined with a local body shop and (2) a specialized 2002 restoration shop, preferably but not necessarly on the East Coast (are there any?). Google came up with a few places; 2002AD (Los Angeles) 2002 Restorations (OR), La Jolla Independent (san Diego,CA), 2002 Haus (San Luis Obispo, CA). Any suggestions, recommendations are welcome.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

These jobs usually take TIME, SKILLS, MONEY, and we never have all three in equal amounts.

For which ever of the three you are lacking, you need to have more of the others to make up for it.

The McGinns do nice work and know the cars.

Isn't Don Deftleson's (sp, sorry) shop out east as well?

Are you going to send it to just one shop, or are you going to be working with several parties(mechanical, body/paint, interior) to get the job done?

Regardless of who you send it to, meet with them, discuss the project, and get in writing what your expectations are. Getting everything out in the open will make life easier for both parties.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

don dethlefson's shop is outside chicago. you don't want to know what he charges for a full resto though. www.thewerkshop.com

of course there is korman's place in greensboro, NC but that won't be cheap either. http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/

la valle's shop in oak ridge, NC is who does AndyS's cars

the mcginn's shop in CT was already mentioned above.

i'm sure there are some resto places in FL as well. check the ads in the roundel or classic motorsports and other similar magazines to get you started. sometimes you will find that some resto shops that specialize in other makes, MGs, Alfas, etc...will be happy to help you with your 02 and do a good job as well.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Guest Anonymous

Greetings Dirk,

I had all the metal and paintwork done at Matt McGinn's shop in Connecticut. (I've done all the mechanical work myself). I spent about a decade dealing with shops across the USA selling 2002 parts, and I could have chosen any shop to take my money - but the care and serious dedication / loyalty to the 2002s that Matt and his guys show is unbelieveable. The company is called "Sportscar restorations" - and if you'd like more detailed info - or photos of what they do (and HOW they do it!) feel free to e mail me. Are they worth the trip up North? Yeah.

I've seen the work of the "other guys" mentioned here before - and never, for a moment regretted sending my beloved "Emily" to Matt's place - 350+ miles away from me in Baltimore.

Paul Wegweiser

zenwrenchpaul@yahoo.com

how much does a full exterior restoration usually run? assuming the mechanics are good and the frame/shock towers/rockers are good, how much to just get rid of all the surface rust (a lot)?

thats a near impossible question to answer. theres so many variables between shops and cars and quality of work, the best and most accurate way is to bring your car to a few shops and get a feel for them. i can tell in 5 minutes if i want a shop working on my car. look around, the shop should be clean and up to date. get it in writing and discuss your expectations. i had an estimate before i sent mine in and it ran a couple thousand over because i kept asking for more and more to be done. if youve got the cash and the ability to travel i dont think you can go wrong at mcginns from what ive seen. i would have taken my car there but logistics and fuel costs made it prohibitive.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

thats a near impossible question to answer. theres so many variables between shops and cars and quality of work, the best and most accurate way is to bring your car to a few shops and get a feel for them. i can tell in 5 minutes if i want a shop working on my car. look around, the shop should be clean and up to date. get it in writing and discuss your expectations. i had an estimate before i sent mine in and it ran a couple thousand over because i kept asking for more and more to be done. if youve got the cash and the ability to travel i dont think you can go wrong at mcginns from what ive seen. i would have taken my car there but logistics and fuel costs made it prohibitive.

yeah i dont even care if it's primered for a few years, i just want the rust out

BMW07.JPG

James

'73 2002tii - inka

user1449_pic1108_1255377205.jpg

yeah i dont even care if it's primered for a few years, i just want the rust out

BMW07.JPG

Be very carefull what you ask for when you go to a shop. you may get what you ask for. Be prepared to spend between 5K to 15K for complete body restoration. The place I had my car done here in North East Ohio is very speedy and the work is TOP NOTCH. However you get what you pay for.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thanks to all of you who have responded an given their recommendations. I am sorting out all the information and trying to make a decision. Keep you all posted.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI